GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to do a mild converter upgrade on my truck, and with my stock trans at 85K miles, i dont want to drop 500+ on an aftermarket converter, atleast not until i get a fully built trans to go in at the same time.

My question is this, Whats the biggest cam you would run with the TB converter. Mostly looking at [email protected] Im going to be installing one of the new LSr cams from comp before the year is out, and it is a 219/227 on a 112 LSA with .607/.614 lift. P/N 54-456-11.

I emailed yank and they suggested a PT3200, and im sure its a great converter and will work great, but at about 900 bucks, i dont want to put that in an then have my tranny go south and have to send the converter back to get rebuilt, id rather just wait a year or so and get a built trans and the PT3200 at the same time.

I know the TB converter isnt the best choice, but how will it work with this cam?

Thanks

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
i wouldn't use a TB converter with that cam. in fact, i wouldn't use that cam or a TB converter at all.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Run a different cam and beef up the valvebody. Shift kit, vette servo, hardened seperator plate, aluminum accumulators and a larger trans cooler and it should last for quite a while with a 3200 stall.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, but why all of a sudden is everybody so down on running the TB converter?????

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but why all of a sudden is everybody so down on running the TB converter?????
it's a shitty converter. it's for people that want to go the cheap route, if you ask me. it only flashes to maybe 2,600rpm, which is nothing for these motors, even on a stock cam. if you're going to take the time and effort of swapping converters, do it right and get a real, performance based converter.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what i've read they arent very strong either.
yeah i was wondering about that also, some say you can still tow like the factory converter, but im not sure.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
From what i've read they arent very strong either.
That's certainly not what I've heard. I've seen TONS of guys running them and holding up to some serious power. Circle D's converters are based on a tb converter.

KBRacing79 was one that comes to mind. He was running solid 12s with his tb converter.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's certainly not what I've heard. I've seen TONS of guys running them and holding up to some serious power. Circle D's converters are based on a tb converter.

KBRacing79 was one that comes to mind. He was running solid 12s with his tb converter.

What are your thoughts on cam for the TB converter? how big would you go with it?

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
I wouldnt run anything other than the stock cam with a tb converter. Its not hardly worth the time and effort of swapping for the gains you get.

One of Circle Ds is based on the tb converter. Their other ones are smaller. Their restalled tb converters can only go up to 3000-3200rpm.

·
SyTy Speed Shop
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, ive done some research, and i think im going to stick with the TB converter as far as that goes, it will be fine till i upgrade my trans and will then go a different route on the converter.

As far as the cam goes, im thinking about going with the TR220 which is 220/220 .551/.551 on a 112 LSA, there is a dyno thread from a guy with an LS1 hot cam which has very similar [email protected] specs as the comp LSr, but the comp has alot more lift, but the TR220 made alot more power everywhere in the powerband. plus i can then run LS6 springs which saves some money.

Thanks again for everybody's feedback on this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts