GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright here's the deal, I got a '98 GMC Sierra 5.7L 350 EFI and I am having clearance issues with my air intake. I recently learned of the TPI intake system. I am not a engine guru by far, I know just enough to get me by and maybe start up a good conversation or two. What I need to know is how hard is this conversion going to be and what parts I need to obtain. I have tried to look through the threads and I'm either missing it or looking in the wrong place. Can anybody help me out?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
TPI is pretty small for a 350 dude, strong TQ but pretty lame up top.

I'd reconsider your air intake versus spending big money for a manifold swap.

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas? I don't really wanna have to modify or get a new hood, I would like to remain with my stock hood. I could chop my motor mounts, but that has it's own drawbacks.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
well, they do make bigger runners. I had an 88 IROC-Z28 with the TPI. It had 300+ torque. In 92 GM got 245hp, and 345ftlbs of torque stock. Mine ran good, but ran out of steam at 4,500 RPM'S.

just my two cents,

Mr. 960

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I do want my truck to have some balls, low and top end, the torque would be great if I towed a bunch of shit, but that isn't going to happen frequent enough. I've been searching high and low for solutions to this problem, ideas would be greatly appreciated. I want to keep my stock hood, a/c, and motor mounts with a stock floor body drop and at least 24's. Am going to have to face the music and get a new hood, or lower my motor mounts?

BTW: I'm only body dropping to the rockers

·
Registered
366 Posts
Summit racing sells tons of stuff to make a TPI breath which was always it biggest problem past 4500rpm. I would just buy th holley comander 950 TPI set-up, and start from there. I remember edelbrock had a tpi set-up for your truck smog legal, but I don't know if they still make it.

Either way you will need a new fuel pump, and computer to keep it smog legal or if not no big deal.

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to look into these options. I am starting to become concerned with the power ratio now. I do alot of highway driving so I want top end power.

·
Im walking on sunshine!
5,650 Posts
On a quick note...You don't have TBI unless you swapped an older fuel system into your truck. TBI ended in 95 for the v8's. I believe the vortec engines have what's called CPI.

:word:
No TBI in 98 is correct..96 and up went to a fuel rail CPI, SFI and so on.

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's another idea out the window, anybody have a suggestions for hood clerance? That was my main reason behind looking into this swap.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
There's another idea out the window, anybody have a suggestions for hood clerance? That was my main reason behind looking into this swap.

Yeah, go back to the stock intake and save yourself a shit ton of hassle.

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might be on to something there :worship:

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
Sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer.

·
Dreamin Big
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Simply put.......Does anyone have a stock vortec airbox they are willing to parts with??? :biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts