GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im lookin into ordering a air springs system from ART and i was just wondering what everyone with bags has. How man tanks and what gallon, how many compressors if more than 1, do u have a 4 link, and if so is it triangulated or parallel, bolt on or weld. rise and fall times, and lastely what are some pro's and con's of your choice. Also if u installed your own system, let me know some of the troubles ya ran into.thanx
sorry for so many questions, just wana get some ideas before i commit to this project :head:

·
Registered
559 Posts
ive got just bags and cups up front (ART front kits are great but it is cheaper and just as affective to do it this way) and kp components 4link/cantilever in the back,KP IN THE BACK IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO (j/k other ways are fine too i just love the lift and ride i get with my kp kit), i have a 6 gallon tank with a viair 450 compressor but i wish i could double up on both soon. go with half inch smc valves and half inch lines, i only have 4 for front and back,if u want sided u need 8, and get ur frame notched bigger than what is neccessary for ur wheels,i wish i did (more travel after u drag a lot, it will get lower).

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
KP cups up front, KP 4 link Canti out back, Connitech 1/2inch ported bags, 1/2 inch parkers, 1/2inch line, 2 5 gallon tanks, engine driven compressor.

Right now i'm only running like 140 psi.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
KP canti 4-link, ART coolride up front. 3/8" SMC valves, 1/2" line, 2 viair 450's on 2 5 gal. tanks, Firestone 2600's up front and 2800's outback. and my notch is a one peice notch created by devious customs. they just did a tech. article about it in one of the recent issues of streetrucks or sporttrucks, cant remember which one.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have IF Cups and a 2 link with 2600 Contitech bags, 8 1/2" valves, 1/2" airline, 3 5 ga. tanks, and 2 small compressors. I'm getting a York and using it as an engine driven compressor. I'm running 150PSI in the tanks and I have a PSI gauge in the cab along with the dual needle gauges in the overhead console. If I had to do it over again I'd either get the complete air ride upper & lower control arm setup with a set of shockwaves and a KP 4 link out back. As far as problems I haven't had any with mine cept tire ware, which is my fault for not having it aligned. I lay frame in the front and all the way to the back minus about 2 inches where it's like 1/4" off the ground, mine does this cause I didn't cut a hole in my bed. They just did a tech article on my setup in the new Street Trucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx all for responding. i was just wondering, if i got with the kp 4 link out back, how does this cantileaver work. I have seriously never gotten into the whole suspension thing, and i really hope to do this all myself to save money and just have something i can say i did, but i dont know much about how everything works, or it's purpose. If i could get an explanation of the kp 4 link and there cant. i would be happy, thanx.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
the kp canti attachment is basically just a bag mount that is located way behind the axle to give a lot of lift and a better ride. IF you go with KP, you don't have to get the cantilever attachment. You can go with an over the axle setup or get axle brackets that mount the bags just behind or just infront of the axle. Its up to you. But I would recommend dishing out the extra cash for the canti. Rides much better than an over axle setup.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so the canti just bolts on over the frame rails and allows up a spot to mount the bags, then the 4-link bolts over the fram rails to replace my leaf springs. So basically all i need to do is once the canti and 4 link are set up, mount my bags, run the air hoses out of them to the tank, and just follow the diagroms from there on how to wire and what to connect.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
BouncinsoulAFI said:
so the canti just bolts on over the frame rails and allows up a spot to mount the bags, then the 4-link bolts over the fram rails to replace my leaf springs. So basically all i need to do is once the canti and 4 link are set up, mount my bags, run the air hoses out of them to the tank, and just follow the diagroms from there on how to wire and what to connect.
Here's a pic of my canitlever attachment. It just bolts to the outside of the framerail.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Triangulated 4-link out back, bags on the lower link bars. Slam Specialties RS-72's, 1/2" SMC valves mounted directly on the bags, 1/2" line. Up front, stock control arms and spindles with cups. Engine driven compressor, 9 gallons of air (3x3). Raised gas tank, y-pipe, transmission crossmember. All custom.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
Triangulated 4-link out back, bags on the lower link bars. Slam Specialties RS-72's, 1/2" SMC valves mounted directly on the bags, 1/2" line. Up front, stock control arms and spindles with cups. Engine driven compressor, 9 gallons of air (3x3). Raised gas tank, y-pipe, transmission crossmember. All custom.

You mean reverse triangulated 4-link.....:read: :bawl:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
Ya, half and half. :pissed: And lower than you. :anitoof:

BTW, what ever happened to your trip to Fresno?

True but you don't have a front crossmember that hangs down and a 1-piece driveshaft. :crazy:

My brother ended up going w/ his girlfriend. I may take a trip down there tomorrow night though. :read: :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts