GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my truck, the temp gauge worked fine, from a cold start up would go to about 210, then the t-stat would open and the temp dropped to about 170 or so and sat there from then on.

After getting it back from having leaking intake gasket replaced, the temp would go up to 260 before it went back to 170 and then would sit for a little bit, go back to 210, back to 170, back to 245 or so, then back to 170, but It never seemed to run hot.

I changed the thermostat with a brand new 190* from NAPA and it seemed to cure a little of it. It still went to 260 before it opened and went to 170 or the normal operating temp.

NOW it warms up to 260, back to 170, back to 260, back to 170 just back and forth the whole time. If its on its way up to 260, and I slow down or stop, the temp stops as well, then when back in the throttle it drops then goes back to 260. I let it sit outside Saturday for an hour running and the gauge did the same thing, but It never overheated that I could tell. I was going to let it sit and run hot if it would b/c warranty would fix anything.

Is it the sensor, or t-stat, or water pump, or what???

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
asddf

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
well, since you replaced the t stat, are you sure you dont have air in the system? sounds like you have pockets of air causing that much heat. 245 is running hot, let alone 260.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I never see over 210 260 is really hot does it boil over?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I supposedly bled the air out yesterday the only way I knew how... I took the rad cap off and let it run for almost 2 hours.

It does the same thing still. This morning on the way to work, went from cold to 260, back to 170, back up to 210, 170, 260, 170, 210....

seems to be a pattern almost?

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
jayson, do you have access to a point-and-shoot type infrared temperature reader? maybe the local parts store has one. this will help determine if its your gauge/sensor malfunctioning. just shoot the sensor at the t-stat housing:imo also, if you know anyone who does heating/air-conditioning for a living, they may also have one. if you've bled the air, possibly its something with the gauge? also, have you checked the temp sensor wire on the block? is it still plugged in?

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
You should pull the waterneck off, remove tstat and ensure block is filled with coolant. Top it off until it spills out, reinstall eveyrthing

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should pull the waterneck off, remove tstat and ensure block is filled with coolant. Top it off until it spills out, reinstall eveyrthing
it was running out when I installed it, and up to the bottom of the t-stat when I installed it, all the excess just ran out on the ground, but what the hell. I've tried everything else.

I'm assuming you mean when its cold, or cooled off?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Sounds to me like it's low on coolant/air pocket.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds to me like it's low on coolant/air pocket.
It seems though as full, in the radiator and coolant tank.

I dunno how else to bleed the air out?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I went back to the shop that I trust and they gave me a replacement thermostat to try thinking the previous one might have been faulty. They looked at the truck and ran the piss out of it and decided that's what they would try first.

I got home, let it cool off, replaced thermostat making sure to add water to the intake while the old one was out. Replaced everything and refilled with water. Started truck up, it idled up to 190 and was fine. I thought it was fixed so the thermostat opened and I finished filling it up with coolant and water. Took it on a road trip getting on it pretty hard. It immediately went to 260 then, back to normal. Well after this the hose on the tstat housing came off b/c of a faulty clamp. I replaced all of this, refilled with coolant/water and took ANOTHER road trip. Same thing.

This morning. Cranked it up started my drive to work. It warmed up to 260, sat there until the tstat opened and went back to 190, then immediately started climbing back to 260, sat there, back to 190, went to 260 again, back down to 210, back to 260 and then back to normal.

Everytime I get on it hard (4500-5000) it seems to heat up then cool back down suddenly while I'm still on it.

My mechaninc told me he suspects the other doflunk might have put the head gaskets on wrong, or the intake gasket on wrong. is this possible??

·
Registered
840 Posts
You said you had the intake gasket replaced. That wouldn't require the removal of the heads. And I don't think you could put the intake gasket on backwards. Not sure though. Why don't you take it back to the shop that did the gasket?

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guy said he wanted to replace the head gaskets while he had the intake off. Why I'll never know.

I'm not taking it back to that guy. He screwed up more than he fixed

·
Registered
840 Posts
That makes no sense. The intake isn't that big of a job, but pulling the heads sure is. Sounds like he screwed your truck up and owes you some money IMHO. I'd be worried about the condition of the engine getting that hot that many times. Maybe not though.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well intake gaskets, like head ones, are directional. Could have them installed backwards and hampering coolant flow.

Sender could be bad.

Air in the system

Bad radiator

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well intake gaskets, like head ones, are directional. Could have them installed backwards and hampering coolant flow.

Sender could be bad.

Air in the system

Bad radiator
The only thing that makes me lean towards the head gaskets being wrong is that this problem never occured before he touched it. Evenwith the intake leak it never got close to 160. 210 would be as high as it went before returning back to norm.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That makes no sense. The intake isn't that big of a job, but pulling the heads sure is. Sounds like he screwed your truck up and owes you some money IMHO. I'd be worried about the condition of the engine getting that hot that many times. Maybe not though.
I am worried about that. I don't want the heads to end up warping or somehting. THen Im screwed.

thank the Lord I purchsed the good warranty.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I mean the intake gaskets could have been installed wrong.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts