GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into trannys for the future for my truck because I want to be prepared for what to go with to replace it. I really don't want to convert over to the 80e unless totally necessary. I was wondering if a tranny from finishline tranny stage 5 4L60 would be strong enough no run my truck with 38s(no ever bigger than 38s again either) and a power added and a 3k stall in it? Or what other good tranny should I look into? I hardly ever tow with it also.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, would a tranny cooler be a good idea to help prolong my stock 4L60?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
do it right the first time and do a 80e swap...60es are for the birds.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking into that but the only thing is I saw the conversion kit ant it was like 4K for it! dam!!!! I also don't like the fact that the 80 has a lower gear in it also.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
A cooler is a big deal with any tranny, cooler is better. I threw a 40k gvwr on mine even with the 80e and a +3qt pan.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
And an 80e swap doe snot need to cost $4k, I did mine with a take-out trans for $1300 including a Westers tune.

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Get the lowest stall converter you can. You dont want to have to pull 3k rpm before you start hauling balls. Or, thats what I would do.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I figure somewhere between 2400-3k stall and a cam and head work but I want to do the tranny next but not doing much more than a mild trubo or very nice nx wet kit with all bolt ons. I am guessing a 4L65 would be great but the only thing that worries me is having 38s with all that.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
to answer your question about the FLT level 5...Yes it would work fine. There are guys running over 500hp/500tq with the flt level 5. That tranny costs 2700 though plus a core charge. You might as well do a 4l80e if you don't plan to race you can gather all the parts for the 4l80e swap and it's about 1/2 the cost of speed engineering's conversion.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
this truck is really hurtin ur wallet seems like
hope its worth it for you
but i cant say much, if i had more money id probly be in ur shoes

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
well, I figures somewhere between 2400-3k stall and a cam and head work but I want to do the tranny next but not doing much more than a mild trubo or very nice nx wet kit with all bolt ons. I am guessing a 4L65 would be great but the only thing that worries me is having 38s with all that.
Your gonna be pulling some crazy revs before you start even moving. Plus, that slippage that occurs when you are crusing around at 2000-2500 rpm is gonna burn up your stuff.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
There's 500hp/500tq in a 4k lb vehicle and then there's the same numbers in a 6-7k lb vehicle with 3x the rolling mass. Huge difference in the strain the trans feels.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,489 Posts
The 4l60e will be obsolete soon enough:head:

Then will have to worry about some other craptastic gm tranny

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats what I figured. I just thought that a reallybuilt 4l60 would do the job but I just wanted to aviod the conversion to the 80 ya know. Would a mildly 80 be better off than that 65? I guess the tq and 38s are what working against me most huh? Well what is the cheapest I could get an 80 in therse if I do the install and removal meslef? I can't build the tranny or anything like that but installation is easy for me. I am just wondering what all I would need to get me rolling with an 80?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts