GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my truck back from the shop. damn 6.0 decided to break a couple rods on me and screw up some cylindars.i'm glad i haven't sold the stock stuff yet, had to put all of it back in this last week, just so i can have something to drive. the 6.0 will eventually get rebuilt, but i don't have the money right now. i already miss the power, i went to punch it today and i couldn't even get the tires to chirp... this sucks. i got bored today so i ripped some stuff off and painted it. maybe if it can't run good, it can look decent? here's the new/old disappointment

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the stock 6.0L wouldn't do this. i had the throttle cable too loose and it came off the loop and got stuck wide open. it was in park and i was revving to show a friend my exhaust, and before i could turn it off, it died. pulled it all out and all apart over the next couple days, and found out the bad news. with that cam, i should have gotten the high dollar titanium rods, but i didn't... so here i am. this was a mistake on my part. there is nothing wrong with the motors or anything, after i get this rebuilt, its goin right back in.

·
I'd hit it
62 Posts
skylerlt said:
the stock 6.0L wouldn't do this. i had the throttle cable too loose and it came off the loop and got stuck wide open. it was in park and i was revving to show a friend my exhaust, and before i could turn it off, it died. pulled it all out and all apart over the next couple days, and found out the bad news. with that cam, i should have gotten the high dollar titanium rods, but i didn't... so here i am. this was a mistake on my part. there is nothing wrong with the motors or anything, after i get this rebuilt, its goin right back in.

Shouldn't the rev limiter have caught not letting you float that motor. And it seems weird it blew just with a little over rev...not saying it's good for the motor by any stretch of the imagination...just odd that it would blow so quickly. Have you been inside of it yet to see any particulars? Nevertheless...that sucks man...feel you pain.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Wow...that sucks. :bawl:

Sorry to unearth this sort of old thread. I have a few questions for skylerlt. Was it the LQ9 HO 6 liter or just the regular 6.0? Also, what kind of exhaust were you running and was it very loud?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
skylerlt said:
Did you break a con-rod or a pushrod?? Although LS1 push rods suck some people dont like to put in hardened pushrods when they do a cam. Thats due to the fact if something happens, most would rather bend a rod than a valve. That is kind of surprising that you over-revved it. What cam were you running in there? What springs were you running at the time? Did you kick up the rev limiter well past 6200 with Edit or something? How many miles were on the motor when you got it?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
DemoN said:
i am VERY interested in what all you pull when installing the 6.0. how hard is it? what all do you have with the 6.0? do you have the entire engine and acessories or do they switch out? what about the A/C stuff?
All the accessories swap over. Its a simple swap really. You will pronably have to swap flex plates but thats the biggest thing I know of. The 6.0 will run on a 4.8 or 5.3 tune also.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was talking with Parish and he was saying something about the fuel lines being the hardest part of the swap. Some special tool you gotta have. But I think he said it was only like $25

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
DemoN said:
i am VERY interested in what all you pull when installing the 6.0. how hard is it? what all do you have with the 6.0? do you have the entire engine and acessories or do they switch out? what about the A/C stuff?

me too! i'd love to have a 6.0L in place of this little V6! i have a question though. my truck is a 5-speed, so would a T56 6-speed bolt up to a 6.0L? i'm pretty sure all the clutch mechanisms would still work with a T56. alot of S-10 guys have sawped there NV3500 for T56.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts