GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get about 11.5 mpg right now and was curious as to what performance parts i could put on the truck to improve that. What are people getting with their trucks and how much does a programmer or anything improve your mpg

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
i get about 11.5 mpg right now and was curious as to what performance parts i could put on the truck to improve that. What are people getting with their trucks and how much does a programmer or anything improve your mpg
Buy a programmer and regear to some 2.88 gears. Put a t-shirt inside your intake and a potato in your exhaust pipe.

Honestly, man I don't even have to tell you to search. Just looking on the first page in the engine section and there's probably a thread just like yours. It gets asked everyday.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
buy a honda? it's a lifted truck it will never get good mileage.
my thoughts exactly. if mileage is a huge concern, theres a couple manufacturers of cars out there that have done a good job of producing cars that get good mileage. toyota, nissan, honda, and others.

·
Lifted 2wd
773 Posts
You guys are harsh.. I doubt he's expecting to get 30 mpg, He just wanted to know if anything would help. From what I've read, it's not worth spending the money to gain 1 or 2 mpg's.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
not meaning to sound harsh. just honest. get a tune, gears. but your still only going to get another couple mpg's.

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
It's crazy to think you'll get good mileage out of a lifted truck on 35s, but that doesn't mean it's worthless trying to improve whatever you're already getting.

That said, there are few or no modifications you can make that will ever pay for themselves in saved gas. Cost-effective gas saving is usually done for free.

How much effort do you want to put into it? How important is it to you?

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
tune, and coast when you drive. you dont have to gas it then brake hard when you drive, you will get to that same red light that the cool guy in the mustang is getting to. hes getting to the light faster, but hes shortening pad life, wasting gas cause hes taking off in first after waiting 30 seconds. by the time its green, you already cruised up to him at a lower rpm and got to the same point in the same time.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thats all i wanted to know. i dont care to every drive anything but my truck. im not expecting even 20 mpg. just curious if spending $300-$400 on a programmer would be worth it.

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey and whats with all the hate? its just a question that i had now that gas is going back up.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
alright thats all i wanted to know. i dont care to every drive anything but my truck. im not expecting even 20 mpg. just curious if spending $300-$400 on a programmer would be worth it.
DO NOT GET A PROGRAMER

get a black bear tune, he is a sponsor on the forum and will give you much more then a handheld for half the price

·
AllOffTopic.com FTW!
8,460 Posts
hey and whats with all the hate? its just a question that i had now that gas is going back up.
By asking about gas mileage, you offend most of the users on this forum in two ways:
  1. They are offended at the mere concept of being concerned about fuel economy.
  2. They are offended to see the same damn question over and over again from people who genearlly aren't willing to do what's necessary to get what they want.
I'm not offended by fuel economy, not even by the idea of trying to improve it in a truck, but it's worth searching since it's such a common question...

·
OBS 4X4 HOE!
179 Posts
Have you regeared or made adjustments for your tire size to correct your speedo? I am assuming no since you are inquiring about a handheld tuner.

I have had a handheld tuner & did not notice much gains in mpg. Now I am going with a BBP in person tune next week.

If you can wait a bit, you should check out their next session in your area. Yes, it is a drive but well worth it.

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156873

·
pro grade member
2,264 Posts
not sure but i think i heard somewhere 4.88's might help

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i have heard of black bear tunes and am looking into them. but the superchip cortez comes with a 2 year drivetrain warranty which since my trucks warranty will soon run out was something that caught my attention.
im new to the forums and didn't know about searching really but i will just look through what comes up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts