GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded the alt wire to a 4ga
the ground was already a 2ga to the engine and it was something like a 12 ga to the body so I upped that to a 8ga
I added a RF gold top mount battery post to it
upped the 2 8gauges to a 4 ga off to a distribution block that why if I wanna add a cap itll be easier and look better

cool thing is, it idles better, runs better and doesnt have the huge voltage drops like before

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it works for anybody

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive done the normal stereo wire , no problem
just dont run them near the exhaust

·
Registered
505 Posts
94flamds10blazr said:
I upgraded the alt wire to a 4ga
the ground was already a 2ga to the engine and it was something like a 12 ga to the body so I upped that to a 8ga
I added a RF gold top mount battery post to it
upped the 2 8gauges to a 4 ga off to a distribution block that why if I wanna add a cap itll be easier and look better

cool thing is, it idles better, runs better and doesnt have the huge voltage drops like before

i dont know what truck you replaced those wires on, but make sure u did not replace the fuseable link that sometimes goes between B+ post and the alternator. ive seen people do that not knowing what that wire was supposed to do.. it sounds like u know what ur doing, but i just wanted to say this just in case

·
eBay-aholic
510 Posts
Dillinja666 said:
i dont know what truck you replaced those wires on, but make sure u did not replace the fuseable link that sometimes goes between B+ post and the alternator. ive seen people do that not knowing what that wire was supposed to do.. it sounds like u know what ur doing, but i just wanted to say this just in case
There is no need to replace the factory wires. The upgrade is meant to complement the factory wiring.

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason you do is to
a: reduce the resistance of the wire from the alt to battery
b: have at least the same size wire for a ground as you have for a power wire the amps and to run the truck.
c: to have a good sized power wire to flow power to the amps
Power makes a loop in the system so if the grounds arent at least the same size as the power, the system will only see a power wire as big as the ground.

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats fuggin huge! and clean the top of that battery

·
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zap citrus orange cleaner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts