GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 647 Posts

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, the amount of reoccuring threads inquiring about the additon of a corvette servo has lead me to creating a master thread here. I believe there have been 6 threads regarding this just in the last few weeks.

In this thread I am going to attempt to answer more of the questions related to the servo swap instead of writing another how-to on it as both KevinDepot and FatKidKustomz have already completed two thorough install how-to's. Okay, here we go.

First of all, the addition of a Corvette servo can be done to all 700-R4/4L60e transmissions. 1982 introduced the 700-R4 trans to the world. The trans remained the same until 1993, although in 93 it was renamed the 4L60. In 1994, GM rear-wheel drive vehicles got the new electronic controlled 4L60-e. The 4L60e has remained in the 1/2 ton series truck until present time. If you have a 4speed auto in your 1500 series, 94 and newer, then it is a 4L60-e, so YES, the vette servo WILL work in it. That's all 700-R4's 82+Present and 4L60-e's 94-Present (2008).

The servo is located inside of the servo housing that is located on the passenger side of the transmission. The servo swap can be performed with the transmission in the truck and also without dropping the transmission pan. Depending on the exhaust setup, you may have to disassemble the servo assembly in the housing. See the How-To write-ups for more info.

The purpose of the vette servo mod is to allow the transmission to shift more quickly and efficiently from first to second gear. From the factory, the truck 4L60e's have a smaller servo. The servo is used to apply the 2-4 band in the transmission. Upgrading to the vette servo gives the trans more "holding" power and thus yields a quicker/firmer shift. Adding a vette servo has also seemed to cause some folks 1-2 slipping to cease. Below is a photo of the stock truck servo (left) and vette servo (right).
DCP_0021.jpg

The easiest place to get a servo is from Oregon Performance Transmission off of ebay. I belive they're $17.95 shipped. Their username on ebay is oregonperformancetransmission. You can also try searching using phrases such as "CORVETTE SERVO, 700R4 4L60, 4L60-E." Often, you will see the servos being sold with a longer pin. You do NOT need the pin. I've read where it only offers 1/32" of end play for the cover so it makes no difference at all. Below are the links to the how-to's.

The biggest difficulty that you may run into while installing the servo is getting the servo cover back on with the snap ring seated properly. Take your time, it will go on. If you do not get it seated properly, you will cause the servo assembly to jam inside the housing and worst case, you will ruin the housing. Below are the how to articles that provide more in depth installation instructions.

HOW-TO:
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159&highlight=servo

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98029&highlight=servo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfPgBUH6Ru0

I'm sure I've missed something. Everyone feel free to add/correct anything that I have may missed. Maybe we can put an end to these threads...

Edit: Thanks to Eric for this:shake:
[yt]YfPgBUH6Ru0[/yt]

·
Respect mah authoritah!
11,153 Posts
Re: Sticky: The Corvette Servo Thread to End ALL Threads.

:shake:

wanna help me put one in my truck when i come down to MB in aug :kiss:

·
GMFS Señor Member
1,326 Posts
Very nice, Matt! I'm loving the avators! Hahaha!

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an 01 1500 pickup with the 6.0 and automatic transmission. Will this Corvette pin work in my transmission? How do I go about getting one, do I need to steal it from a corvette? Where can I get a stock servo if this is not to my liking?

:jester:

:nono:

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Good.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Noicely done chap!

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
Thank god!

·
Ultimate IFS Pirate
1,907 Posts
I have an 01 1500 pickup with the 6.0 and automatic transmission. Will this Corvette pin work in my transmission? How do I go about getting one, do I need to steal it from a corvette? Where can I get a stock servo if this is not to my liking?

:jester:
Check out FSC.com. :shake:

·
Fake 4wd Club
3,942 Posts
Not to mention if you feel like you got some testicualr fortitude you can plug off the hole for the 2-3 accumulator as well increasing firmness in the 2-3 shift apply

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Not to mention if you feel like you got some testicualr fortitude you can plug off the hole for the 2-3 accumulator as well increasing firmness in the 2-3 shift apply

OR just stuff a heavier accumulator spring in the intermediate servo. :pepper:

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
Just for my doubts. and for additional help to the thread.

I've seen billet servo's, does billet vs the one from orgeon performance.

Is billet just for looks or does it have a purpose, like durabilty or something technical?

1 - 20 of 647 Posts