GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Move if necessary.

Name is Tyler I have a 97 ecsb Silverado. Owned for about 5 years now from 176k miles. Minimum wage job and money problems plagued my first four years of ownership so I made no significant changes other than full synthetic fluids and top shelf filters and necessary maintenance.

The past year brought some appearance upgrades. I changed all the lights. Fronts were a set of smoked lights purchased from another forum member. LED turn signals are cool and all but being cheaper eBay units some of the chips are starting to dim and go out. I expected this. Once half of them go I'll change to normal bulb housings, do a 3157 swap with LED bulbs. Also added a 22" OPT7 light bar. Not 100% happy with mounting location but it works until I can find something I like. I can't decide on a bull bar, Baja bar or brush guard. Visor has clear acrylic lenses and Amber HyPer LEDs. They were green til a state boy told me to change them and gave me a ticket for front tint. Tails were an impulse buy after I torched my fourth set of stock circuit boards. They work as well as a $100 set of eBay tails are expected to. I will upgrade these when they fail. Reverses are a pair of standard duty HyPer LED units. Recon smoked mini tailgate bar. Smoked LED third brake light and white cargo LEDs. Interior is pretty much all LED converted aside from the stuff that requires retrofitting. I need to get a soldering iron and perfect my skills before I get to swapping the detail required switches and such. Cluster, HVAC, dome, all four maps, glove box and footwells are white. All HyPer units. Door panels and footwells change every now and again from red to white to blue to green when I get bored and feel like swapping bulbs.

And I have no pics of the interior on my phone. I will change this.

Sound system is nothing spectacular. Pioneer Bluetooth head unit door speakers and 750 watt amp that runs a 12" JLAudio sub in a ported halfway under the seat box. It bumps good when I want it to and is bearable when I need some background music. No need to take pics of my mediocre sound system. Unless someone requests them.

Performance wise I don't have a whole lot going on yet. The truck has 255k on original power and drive train. At 252k I pulled the heads to have a manifold bolt drilled out that was broke when I bought the truck. It never leaked but it had to come out when the drivers manifold parted like the red sea. Christmas brought me a set of JBA stainless shorty headers from the gf to replace the three manifold pieces. Just for good measure I dropped some coin on a new direct fit set of stainless magnaflow catalytic convertors. From there it's 2.5" duals into a flowmaster super 40 that was a birthday gift last year and 2.5" dual out to 4x22" Flo-pro stainless 45 degree slash cut tips 45d at the corner bumper bolts. EGR went away after seeing the quarter inch of grime and carbon it left on the intakes and heads. It got cleaned off at performance engineering race engines which also checked all my valves and springs, installed new valve seals, checked all sealing surfaces and reassembled the heads. I cleaned the lifter valley even though the 75k miles of synthetic left damn near nothing behind to be cleaned out aside from some varnish and a little grime between the lifter keepers and cylinder wall side of the block. One swipe of a screwdriver and they were cleaned out. Piston tops were a whole different story. I couldn't see the valve relief cuts on any of them. Mineral spirits and a mini screwdriver and about four hours of scraping got them looking as good as they will ever get for the miles. New fel-pro gaskets and she was back running like a top. A volant cold air intake with an AEM dry flow filter tops off the engine bay. Exhaust will be finished next week. Underside pics will happen when it's finished.

Suspension wise it's cranked to level with 265s. No money for wheels and tires at the moment and I'm very picky.

Plans for the truck are of course lift wheels and tires.

Lift wise I'm torn. I thought about doing a 4 inch rough country IFS lift using the 6 inch rear kit which gives me the add a leaf and buying two inch blocks to lessen axle wrap if any should occur and also add some lbs to my towing capacity and allows me to crank up to six if I ever feel like going higher. Since the kit actually lifts 5.25 inches up front. Crank down 1.25 for 4 and up .75 for 6.

Someone on another forum suggested a 6 inch inch superlift. Which allows me to crank up to 8 inches. I don't plan to ever go that high. I have no need. Even though I could run 36s it's just not necessary. Then u joints become questionable and I don't want that much block in the back.

Who has had or driven a truck with both lifts or one or the other. Don't know many guys with the super lift. Hoping to have more luck here. I know for a fact that rough country's kit rides very nicely. Almost if not better than stock.

Body lift is no go. I see too much frame as it is now. No thank you.

Wheels and tires. Pretty well set on classic lock II. I like the bead lock look. Probably 17x9 if I go four inches lift. Might go 18 if I do six inches. Tires wise I was pretty dead set on fine grapplers but now they don't have them listed anymore. So I'm at square one for tires. Size wise I need to be able to clear without cutting bumpers or fenders while flexing a little. I wheel on sand dunes and some light/mild trails around the area so clearance is a major thing. I'll trim my valence and inner wheel wells if need be.
I look at tires all the time. I'll find something I like.

Pretty sure the CB and whips are coming out. The wires got burned on my ratty exhaust the previous owner cobbled together. The CB used to work. I trusted a buddy to help me get the interior apart to clean the carpet and run my amp and sub wires the right way and he dropped the CB. He gave it to me free originally so nothing of value was lost. It just doesn't receive for shit. Tried tuning 6 different whips with no luck.

Toolbox will be coming off and getting the clear coat stripped and a good polishing. Reclear may or may not happen. Unsure right now.

Power and drive train wise I'm keeping it as is. It's my daily and will be my daily for at least two to four more years until I get a house and a newer truck. I'm tired of the apartment gig and need to save for a house the next two years. If something catastrophic goes wrong I will rebuild the trans withal shift kit and vette servo. I have no doubts it will last four years though. Rear end is newer. I run Amsoil. No doubts that will last. Engine has 255k. As stated above I run synthetic and top shelf filters. Everything checked out fine at 252k. No worries there. If it does go I'll rebuild it if I can. If I can't I'll search for a reman or a 3.9 Cummins.

Any questions? Any ideas?

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

·
GMFS Member
749 Posts
I understand wanting to mod your truck and everything if you're going to be driving it for a while, but that things got a lot of miles and looks likes it's ate up with rust. If I were you I would just save the money to go towards something new later on.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
I'd save the extra cash that you'd put in this until you get the newer truck.. or put it into the house.

We all get the itch to mod our vehicles but sometimes it's better to be patient and frugal.

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand wanting to mod your truck and everything if you're going to be driving it for a while, but that things got a lot of miles and looks likes it's ate up with rust. If I were you I would just save the money to go towards something new later on.
Well I have two brand new fenders in my buddy's rafters. Probably going on this summer. It'll be a dune toy after I retire it from daily driver duty. Everything checked out great when I had it apart. I think this thing will clear 300k without complaining. May need an oil pump or minor repairs but as far as internals go it's very well cared for. I'm religious when it comes to maintenance. The cab corners had been done before I got it. And it looks like this thing was someone's practice for body work. The paint on one side of the cab is light. You can see the tape lines on the door. The clear is fading as well in the area that you can tell was repainted. It looks alright but in the right light you can see it's not original. The drivers extended cab panel wasn't welded the best. It's starting to separate. In all honesty I'd buy a southern cab and bed and swap them on. The ones on there now really aren't worth attempting to save. Even if I tried it would never be right. Once it goes to toy status I can start tearing it down and see what I'm really looking at. Toys get last priority though. Mortgages come first. Always.
I'd save the extra cash that you'd put in this until you get the newer truck.. or put it into the house.

We all get the itch to mod our vehicles but sometimes it's better to be patient and frugal.
I agree completely. That's why all the mods so far have been simple and relatively cheap. The header fiasco left it sitting for two weeks but I've been off work for the winter so it wasn't a huge deal. I did learn a ton about the truck though as I've slowly done things to it here and there. I've slowly come to love this truck more and more as I get to know its quirks and make it more my own. I'll never get rid of it. It's not the prettiest truck by any means and it'll never be a show truck but I treat it well. I won't lift it til I get a new daily though. The house is more important to me than any lift kit. And with my plans for it to be a dune toy there will probably be a long travel kit for it by the time I actually get around to that point in the build progression.

Cabs are cheap. Seen them stripped for $300. Way less than the $2k it costs for rockers and cab corners. Beds are cheap too. We will see what the next couple years have in store.

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
House is coming. Closing the end of this month. Two stall plus garage with a bench. Gonna have to cut off part of it so I can get my toy......tool...... Box in there. House is nice. Needs paint and some holes from pictures in the wall filled. Windows next spring but I can do those. Winter will consist of nothing major on the truck. Fluid swaps, and Camo some interior parts. Headliner and the two carpeted door panel sections. I'll be painting some other parts a medium grey to match the grey around the radio, HVAC, overhead console, center console parts and stuff. Should break up the boring TAN ALL THE THINGS that it's had from the factory. Here's some pictures of the general idea. I'm going with the grey on the door handle and bezel and the lower vent by the pocket around the camo. I don't like the grey of the speaker grille, the window switch trim, or the air bag break away panel. This guy has like four different shades. I'm doing one.

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
fullsizechevy.com

Reactions: SierraScott

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
means gtfo with camo interior

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not going to CAMO ALL THE THINGS! just a couple spots here and there. The headliner is starting to peel in a couple spots and I want to cover the cigarette burns on the door carpets from the PO. I'm a hunter. The pattern he used is more of a wetlands type. I'd be using APG.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
место рождения
1,965 Posts

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be worse. I could squat it so it looks like my dog when she pees and then splatter paint the interior. uke:

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not following that guys ideas completely. Just the two panel sections and headliner. I've got cloth seats which will remain unchanged. I'll change some trim and dash parts to match the factory dark grey of the cluster and center stack. I had a buddy who did all Camo seat covers front and rear a dash pad steering wheel cover floor mats and headliner. It was way too much. One of those things that's best in moderation. I like my mods to be tasteful. Never been one to go over the top. I save that for maintenance. I'd rather have it operate flawlessly than have it look awesome and run like shit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
So youd rather have it look like shit and run awesome? Do not understand.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,679 Posts
Tasteful and camo? Your definition of tasteful must differ greatly from everyone on this planet

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Believe it or not, some people actually do require reliable transportation, no matter how it looks.

·
Jake
2,353 Posts
This truck is very similar to all the high schoolers in my home town. They love their whips, weird lights and camo.

·
GMT-400 Fan
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For awhile. I was in debt so I couldn't do much for the looks. I just maintained it religiously. It's paid off greatly. Now that my previous poor money choices are behind me I can start changing the looks for the better. The cab and bed are shot. The cost to repair the rust and damage would be outrageous. I'm planning to find a southern cab and bed and swap them on. I'd prefer a bare one so I can just swap my interior and have nothing to rip out. Plus I can get to know the interiors better. When you're paycheck to paycheck like I was for about four years it's better to have it run good instead of having all fancy nice parts that look good on the side of the road.
Tasteful and camo? Your definition of tasteful must differ greatly from everyone on this planet
I have a lot of people who have encouraged it. Even on some of the car forums I'm on for the old lady's ride.
Believe it or not, some people actually do require reliable transportation, no matter how it looks.
This. I will add I washed mine on a weekly basis.
I cant even see some of the parts...That's good camo!
Lol
This truck is very similar to all the high schoolers in my home town. They love their whips, weird lights and camo.
Ya know I've been contemplating taking those things off for awhile. The CB is shot. The coax was ruined when I got rear ended and it bent my exhaust and the wire ended up on it. If I ever do buy a new CB it will run on a single antenna. The toolbox is another thing. I actually use it but I really miss the clean look it had with the tonneau cover I still have stashed away (knowing these thoughts would happen) I've considered an under the rail box already but I keep a ton of stuff in my current box and I use it all throughout the year. Once I move and have garage space I'm sure most of it will be kept there and a large box will be unnecessary and I can downgrade to a smaller box and put my tonneau on again. I miss it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts