GMC Truck Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Polished my truck for the first time using these videos as a guide. I'm thrilled with my results, thanks for such a great resource

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Polished my truck for the first time using these videos as a guide. I'm thrilled with my results, thanks for such a great resource
Same here used your videos, and results came out pretty good. Now i try to go around teaching everyone about paint correction like I'm some kind of expert lol.

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
That cable was one of my best investments. ;)
I bought mine over a year ago and have yet to use the damn thing! But the detailing bug has got me now.

I watched a few of your other videos, and man I think your going to save me money that I desperately need. I love the fact that you use the best bang for the buck products and where to get them online. Appreciate that big time.:favorites13:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Same here used your videos, and results came out pretty good. Now i try to go around teaching everyone about paint correction like I'm some kind of expert lol.
lol.gif
lol.gif

... I love the fact that you use the best bang for the buck products and where to get them online. Appreciate that big time.:favorites13:
The main thing to realize is just because they sell it, doesn't mean that you need it. All Purpose Cleaners that these places sell is a joke. That stiff ain't nothing bit Formula 409 marked way the hell up. You can get that stuff at any grocery store for cheap. Plus, what you buy at the store is not diluted. A BUNCH of car supplies are like that, especially interior stuff.

I preach common sense for a reason. My name ain't Daddy War Bucks. ;)

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
lol.gif
lol.gif

The main thing to realize is just because they sell it, doesn't mean that you need it. All Purpose Cleaners that these places sell is a joke. That stiff ain't nothing bit Formula 409 marked way the hell up. You can get that stuff at any grocery store for cheap. Plus, what you buy at the store is not diluted. A BUNCH of car supplies are like that, especially interior stuff.

I preach common sense for a reason. My name ain't Daddy War Bucks. ;)
Man thats actually really funny because I came on a few days asking in the chat if I could use 409 as an all purpose cleaner for when I do a "strip wash". Thats all the girlfriend uses around the house so I figured what the hell ill ask if any one uses it ha.

I ordered a few 6.5 hexlogic pads from Chemical Guys last night. Kind of thinking if I should went with their clay and their "clay lube" as well? Its mind boggling how many different sprays and polishes those "Guys" have. I cant see their detail sprays and wash liquids being that much different? Another thing is they have like 4-5 different clay bars its like wtf do I need.

Im thinking Chemical Guys clay lube and one of their medium bars?

One more thing Mr.Junkman Im looking at going with the Megiures Mirror Glaze line and I see they have more then just m105 and m205.. Are their other compounds worth a damn or just stick to the m105 and m205 for starters?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Man thats actually really funny because I came on a few days asking in the chat if I could use 409 as an all purpose cleaner for when I do a "strip wash". Thats all the girlfriend uses around the house so I figured what the hell ill ask if any one uses it ha.

I ordered a few 6.5 hexlogic pads from Chemical Guys last night.
You ordered the wrong size pads.

Kind of thinking if I should went with their clay and their "clay lube" as well? Its mind boggling how many different sprays and polishes those "Guys" have.
You definitely need to watch my claying video before you buy the WRONG grit of clay and end up scratching your paint to hell and back.

I cant see their detail sprays and wash liquids being that much different? Another thing is they have like 4-5 different clay bars its like wtf do I need.

Im thinking Chemical Guys clay lube and one of their medium bars?
Again, watch my claying video.

One more thing Mr.Junkman Im looking at going with the Megiures Mirror Glaze line and I see they have more then just m105 and m205.. Are their other compounds worth a damn or just stick to the m105 and m205 for starters?
You need to just stick with what you saw me use. I could give you a college course in understanding all the differences with the Mirror Glaze line. Problem is, they ain't paying me to do that so I'm not going to explain all their stuff to the world. They ARE different for different reasons but for the sake of simplicity, do what you saw me do.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,734 Posts
[No message]

·
never finished
2,239 Posts
Man I gotta say, these are the best videos on the web for detailing how to.

I started my project earlier today, clayed, ran through with my first stage of polish. It looks OK, but not what I was expecting it to look like. Looks killer until you get a light on it, still had some minor scratching going on. Watched these videos to see what I was doing wrong, and Im definately running my machine too quickly over the paint, and probably using too much polish. I'll hit it again tomorrow, much slower, and less polish, and see how it looks then.

Thank you sir.

btw, you sound like the kinda feller us normal people would like to have a beer with. I've watched other videos, far too techy and too product pushy. Was nice learning from someone speaking the novice language, and acting down to earth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Ed, that's the goal that I shoot for. God has blessed me with the ability to deliver subjects in a manner that most folks can understand and find entertaining and I am just paying it forward. I enjoy doing it and am happy when others share their experience. :)

I could have told you that you were moving the polisher too fast and all the dusting that you were experiencing with M105 should have told you that you were using too much polish. Remember how I explained how too much polish kills the ability of the pad to cut? Think of it like oil in your engine. You know that oil is very, very good for your engine but if your engine holds 7 quarts, would 11 quarts be better? Of course not. That would be MUCH worse because too much of a good thing is counter-productive. As they say in medicine, if 1X is good, 2X is not necessarily better.

Another piece of advice that you did not follow was to perfect one spot on the car BEFORE moving to the rest of the car. What you ended up doing was teaching yourself a bad technique all over the car. Now you have to unteach youself that bad technique, which is harder to do. Until you can perfect ONE spot on the car, you should NOT bother with the rest of the car. At the same time, once you perfect your technique in one spot on the car, you will know what it will take to fix the entire car. It's funny how that is nothing but common sense, huh...!

In the Marines, we practiced learning and shooting our weapons with NO AMMO for 2 weeks before we got to use ammo. Why did they do that? Because they wanted us to learn the TECHNIQUE of firing our weapons before we ever sent one round down range. The Marine Corps knew that they could give you the best weapon on the planet but if you didn't know how to shoot straight, that weapon would be useless. You may as well be fighting with sticks. Technique TRUMPS product 24/7/365. I cannot stress that enough.

So take all this back with you to the garage and let's see if you have even better success. Use plenty of light while working so that you can see your results. Take your time, this is not a race. The results that you are looking for will come if you are true to the technique.
thumbsup.gif

·
I got work to do
6,024 Posts
You ordered the wrong size pads.

You definitely need to watch my claying video before you buy the WRONG grit of clay and end up scratching your paint to hell and back.

Again, watch my claying video.

You need to just stick with what you saw me use. I could give you a college course in understanding all the differences with the Mirror Glaze line. Problem is, they ain't paying me to do that so I'm not going to explain all their stuff to the world. They ARE different for different reasons but for the sake of simplicity, do what you saw me do.
Well I saw you stated that 5.5" pads were the way to go for the novice after I watched the video the second time. But I had it in my head that you wear using 6.5 pads so I thought those were the best bet. ( These trucks have a alot of surface area, 6.5" pads will come in handy ) The pads got send out, otherwise I was going to call back and switch up my order and have them send me some clay and spray.

Shit I just figured all Clay Bars were created equal.. I will watch your vid on claying tomorrow and see if I can get some insight. All I have left to order is clay/detail spray and the polishes and a sealant.

Until you can perfect ONE spot on the car, you should NOT bother with the rest of the car. At the same time, once you perfect your technique in one spot on the car, you will know what it will take to fix the entire car. Technique TRUMPS product 24/7/365. ]
I think this is probably the best advice I've heard yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
... These trucks have a alot of surface area, 6.5" pads will come in handy )
The 6.5" pads would be fine if you were experienced with paint correction and using a more powerful polisher. As a novice, the polisher that you are using and the size of those pads are going to amplify every buffing mistake that you make. From using too much pressure to too much polish, every issue you experience will be amplified with that combination. With a smaller pad, the mistakes you make are allotted a slight bit of leeway because the polisher and its limited power won't have to turn such a big pad. As a novice, you want every inch of leeway that you can get until you actually know what you are doing.

,,, I think this is probably the best advice I've heard yet.
The companies that sell this stuff don't want you to know that. They want you to believe that everything they sell is the best thing since sex. I'm here to tell you, just as there is no one woman on this planet that has sex cornered, there is no one detailing company that has every detailing product covered. There are multiple products out there that will get you to Shineville, some just take different roads. All you have to do is pick a road to travel, stay on that road and you will eventually end up in Shineville.
yesnod.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Take your time, this is not a race.
So true, the first time I picked up my polisher and 3 different steps and clay I had no idea what I was doing took my time and got the thing pretty damn perfect looking. Although I was in the garage 5 hours or so ha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been wanting to get my paint cleaned up good for a while, now I actually have a good idea of how to do it. Any advice for chips in the clear coat though? I've got a few spots that have chipped over time.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts