GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking for the reason as to why my exhaust "pops" at times.

I'm not talking about the crackle and pop many hear after revving their Y, H, or X-pipe set-ups; I've been wondering why true dual set-up's pop on acceleration.

If I hit the gas in neutral it pops. If I slowly climb the RPM's in neutral there is no pop - and I can even hold it at any RPM without that popping noise.

I thought that maybe this noise had something to do with the timing but figured someone on here would have a for sure answer. Also, if anyone knows how this noise is made, can a truck be made to pop even with a light foot on the gas?

***I understand that I can hear this noise because of my exhaust set-up. What I would like to figure out is:

If my exhaust DOES pop when quickly revved or accelerated and
If my exhaust DOES NOT pop when slowly revved or accelerated

Then what is happening different in the motor to result in this sound?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
isn't that what glasspacks or cherry bombs or some shit are for?

sorry i'm a little rusty on my ******* truck accessories.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not asking how to change an exhaust so that it pops I'm wondering what is happening different in the motor at the time that the exhaust is popping rather than the normal rumble.

·
Boss
83 Posts
I have straight pipes and I personally like the pop :imo

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Just thought i would mention but popping alot of the time also comes from a leak in the system. As the exhaust rushes by the leak it creates a vacuum and pulls in the cooler ambient air and throws it into the mix and out the pipe causing it to pop a little

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
This may be decel fuel cutoff.

Decel fuel cuttoff means exactly that. When you take your foot off the gas pedal going downhill or decelerating quickly, the ECM will cut off the fuel entirely.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
You probably have an exhaust leak somewhere. That'll make it pop sometimes.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
according to that video's "popping" its b/c you have true duals and only cats thats causing it to pop.

Mine sounds the same way as that video, only not AS bad. But not for long.

·
┌∩┐(º_º)┌∩┐
363 Posts
good god man, it's the fucking shitkicker straight pipes causing it to pop. Sounds like hammered shit!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
according to that video's "popping" its b/c you have true duals and only cats thats causing it to pop.

Mine sounds the same way as that video, only not AS bad. But not for long.
yeah and im sure his tips are adding in on that sound as well

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Prolly from being straight piped with only cats and no crossover pipe for starters. Throw a decent muffler on there and it wouldnt pop.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
No crossover and an unbalance of the exhaust pulses from bank to bank resulting from such a condition cause it to pop. The size of the pipe has a role in it too; the larger the pipe the less rasp.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts