GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always told myself if I ever bought a 3/4 ton diesel it would need to be 4wd, just because lol. Well I found my truck(06 CCSB LBZ) that was 2wd, low miles and really clean and I couldnt pass up the deal. So I settled for 2wd. I recently found a guy selling a totalled LLY. He cut the frame off after the torsion bars, got all the front suspension, front diff, wheels etc. Along with a transfer case(push button) with a little over 5K miles on it, and both drive shafts. Got a killer deal on it all IMO. Cost me 750$. Ben at BT Diesel Works is going to be building me the harness I need. I sent him the harness off the transfer case and front diff and he will be building me the rest. It will be 99% plug and play. I bought a Transfer case control module and 4wd output shaft yesterday off ebay. I will be doing a cognito 4-6 ntbd lift at the same time so my truck will sit the same and take care of half of the front diff mounting. Not much of any actual progress as of yet. Will be a slow process. Going to document most of the steps since there isnt much info out there for the swap since most dont want to go through the work it takes. I will be able to do this cheaper parts wise then I could sell my truck for and buy a 4wd with same miles and condition. Not even including what ive already done to the truck.

I WONT BE SPLICING THE FRAMES TOGETHER

1410750091.jpg

1410885625.jpg

1410750131.jpg

1410750098.jpg

·
i like interco
3,269 Posts
Hellavu lot of work and I'd have done a low SAS, but it's cool you're tackling it. I'm sure it'll turn out sick.

·
15 RCSB Z71
2018 GMC Sierra All Terrain 6.2L
3,447 Posts
Good luck with the swap, should be awesome when it's all done!

·
GMC Owner
1,464 Posts
Nice! you may need a new y-pipe after the headers to fit the front driveshaft. I think there is a different part for 4wd vs 2wd

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,254 Posts
Alot of work. For the price though i do believe you are right about the cost.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Awesome project! Going to be a sweet build. Would love to do this to my 89 but I'd probably just frame swap b/c i dont have a very good welder and I am not that skilled to cut the frame and piece it back together.

·
Yes, they are mine
205 Posts
Damn, you never stop, do you? Should be super nice once you're finished, Ive been following your builds for a long damn time. Good luck!

·
LSX LUV Owner
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome project! Going to be a sweet build. Would love to do this to my 89 but I'd probably just frame swap b/c i dont have a very good welder and I am not that skilled to cut the frame and piece it back together.
I'm not splicing the frames.

Damn, you never stop, do you? Should be super nice once you're finished, Ive been following your builds for a long damn time. Good luck!
Lol thanks man. Always tinkering.

Looking forward to this.
Me too! Ready for 4wd launches

·
2009 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71
4,791 Posts
Are you still toying with the Luv or has that been cast aside for now?

·
Fa Kin Su Pah
5,583 Posts
Wish I would've seen this sooner. I need one of those center caps :crazy:

·
Formerly TrucknGolf
2,182 Posts
YES!!! I am in. I was going to do this on a 1/2 ton rcsb..

Why not buy another frame? There is alot of them out there. Then there will be no splices. I would be scared shitless if I was going to buy and pickup and the frame was cut and welded!

·
место рождения
1,965 Posts
YES!!! I am in. I was going to do this on a 1/2 ton rcsb..

Why not buy another frame? There is alot of them out there. Then there will be no splices. I would be scared shitless if I was going to buy and pickup and the frame was cut and welded!
I don't think he's using the cut frame, just transferring everything over from it. The splice he is talking about is the wiring harness.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
So I am ignorant. Does your current frame have all the mounts for the T-case or are you going to fab those in?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts