GMC Truck Forum banner

1921 - 1932 of 1932 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this myself in my garage on jack stands. Springs and spindles on the front and flip kit with notch in the rear. My only complaint is that the rear shock extenders are not the same as shown in the shitty instructions and it is not clear how to put them on and tech support was no help. I put one on backwards and ended up breaking the mounting tab on the shock while driving it. Got it welded and flipped the extender and has been good ever since. Drives good, had to get my tail pipe lifted off of the axle and I am working on preventing drive shaft rub under acceleration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Uselessburb
im looking to put a kit together for my 974x4 4door. any complications doing this at home? anything i need to watch out for? the side that has gas tank- how complicated will this be?
belltech kit give you any issues with pinion angles- not sure if thats what its called. but read that need to be careful because once you lower it. drive shaft or something -angle changes.
thanks for any info. been wanting to lower mine- and think im ready to give it a try in the garage. just want to make sure i can get er done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A suburban rear end is different than a tahoe, you need to find someone who has lowered one to answer your questions. It really comes down to mechanical ability. If you haven't done any type of suspension work or medium mechanical, don't do this alone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
thanks for reply. i have lowered just about every vehicle ive owned since 17- not a mechanic but can do some things. i put a 5/7 on an obs short bed i had and a bunch of c 10's
this is the first 4x4 ive ever owned. and was just looking for info on it.
thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
You shouldnt have a problem then. The trickiest part for me was cutting through the frame without cutting the fuel and brake lines at the back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EEFDAB7F-FB89-44C7-B392-1B92EC91C08C.jpeg
1997 Cheyenne 4/6 with 245/60/15 in front 275/60/15 in rear. My first truck ever had. It’s been sitting in my driveway since my second son who’s 12 now. We got her going not problem and runs like a champ. I have all sorts or questions since it’s been 20 years and a whole life ago.
1) I have a ground force kit (spindles and flip) and the shocks need replacing. What are the best shocks out there and have there been any upgrades in tech in the last 20 years.
2) I want to see her with different size wheels and tires to see what if I’m missing out not having 17”+ rims. Does it handle better? Is it rougher? What sizes fills the wells the best? Any input?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I always ran bilsteins when I had lowered trucks, but I’ve heard lots of good things about Belltech street and performance shocks.

I never got into the whole 20s or bigger on OBS trucks, even 15-20 years ago when they weren’t classics. I always liked 17s as the max, but now that they are more of a classic truck I think 15s look great again too.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Btw, great truck and great story. Glad you were able to hang onto it and get it back on the road. It think it looks great as it sits. Very clean build.

1921 - 1932 of 1932 Posts