GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone clue me in on this - I have been in the custom audio industry and messing with "custom" vehicles for several years. However, in the past few years since F&F and 2F2F the word custom has taken a downturn. Kids drill a hole in something or put a sticker on it and call it "custom." I am so glad to be in a truck forum that a lot of people still know what "custom" is. A lot of you guys really have some amazing pieces of work. Help bring back the word "custom" in its true form :head:

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
i agree with ya. lots of people out there think a body kit on their honda or a cheezy air intake makes their car "custom" :LOL:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
It aint custom till you use a torch, welder or something of that sort :rocking:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hate to say it but any alteration from stock technicly is "custom". Ugly Altezas(nooffence to anyone with them or other Euro lights), wings, vynal graphics, all that Pep Boys/Autozone crap is "custom". It may be cookie cutter, but it's altered from stock. Personaly, I don't tink those accessory buckets should be called custom, when you have cars and trucks that have hours and hours poured into them, but some times that bolt crap leads people down the customizing road, and they start doing bigger and better things with thier rides.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Words to live by: Fuck it, it's only metal. Cut it up! :read:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grounded, yours and 2k1slvrdo's trucks are my 2 favs on here - both just absolutely sick looking

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm with y'all bolt on wings, body kits, and stickers all over your vehicle don't make it a true custom to me. You need some real mods to make somthing custom.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
SilvySQ said:
Grounded, yours and 2k1slvrdo's trucks are my 2 favs on here - both just absolutely sick looking
Thanks. It's nothing special, just a daily driver.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree that the word has taken a turn, but I am not quite at the "unless it is cut up, it isn't custom!" yet. I had a 97 Sonoma, lowered 5/5, 16" ZQ8's wheels, street scene mirrors, rollpan, tonneau cover (all painted to match), billet antenna, white face guages, painted interior pieces. I built the sub box to fit. And I didn't cut one thing up on that truck. Here is a link to pics...http://www.trueambition.net/viewers/jaymie.html

I like to think that it was "custom"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice looking sonoma Jamal, I would agree that is custom - you have more done that a "custom" hole drilled for an LED and some "custom" headlight bulbs that burn out once a month - oh yeah, dont forget the LED washers

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
SilvySQ said:
mine is my daily driver/pizza rig...

i don't know... some times people over do the whole custom thing. I think its better if someone takes time to plan out their truck and get what they want, not whats cool at the time. There are so many olderish rich guys that drop their trucks off and say "make it cool" to my paint guy. They drop 15 grand on it and do it pretty much every year. For every "rice" rocket there are guys like that. I can't stand them either... Goes along with "when are you gonna lift your truck, will?" :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

i would never do anything to my truck to follow a trend... or to win a trophy. This bitch is mine, and usually when i show, i don't even stick around to see who wins:read:

·
Registered
142 Posts
SilvySQ said:
nice looking sonoma Jamal, I would agree that is custom - you have more done that a "custom" hole drilled for an LED and some "custom" headlight bulbs that burn out once a month - oh yeah, dont forget the LED washers
Thanks a ton....that was my 3rd lowered truck, but the only one where I did everything but the paint. It was certainly a learning experience.

·
Registered
142 Posts
"We have become part of something much more complicated than you or I will ever fully comprehend. We build more than just trucks... we build friendships, we build futures, we build our dreams. We drive our trucks low and hold our heads high because we have an unwritten and unspoken agreement that we will live life to the fullest and never fall victim to 'the norm'. Others laugh at us when we spend hours on end working on our trucks, yet shake our hands when we are done."
-Wyatt Strange

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
i would never do anything to my truck to follow a trend... or to win a trophy. This bitch is mine, and usually when i show, i don't even stick around to see who wins:read:
Awesome post! Following a trend is stupid because you are only changing up your ride to "fit in" which seems to be the opposite of the point of "customizing" your vehicle in the first place! Most people do it to be different, not fit in with everybody else. My truck is pretty standard, and nothing special, but i have put alot of time into it and have done everything the way i wanted it, so i'm happy with it :) It might not win a trophy, but its fun to drive around in :head:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
What about wood, like sub box enclosures we build oursleves. Not just plain ones, but ones that have windows and fiberglass...and such, is that custom?-

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you built it, you put the time into it and it took more time to do than putting on a sticker - therefore,y ou are custom =)

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Black_Chrome said:
What about wood, like sub box enclosures we build oursleves. Not just plain ones, but ones that have windows and fiberglass...and such, is that custom?-
Yeah that would be a custom sub box, so yoru truck definatly has a custom touch to it. If you did more than stick/bolt/clip it on its alot more custom that most of those ricers will ever get. A bodykit is NOT custom, especially when it sells for $99 at autozone and every other civics got one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Let me clarify my statement...I don't agree that people rolling around with the ricer or not doing any of their own work deserve the title custom. If you have spent the hours of work or been there to help with work on your ride. Then its custom in my eyes. They have a lot of guys that say stupid crap about using bolt on kits for bags but, that's what I am putting on my ride. As long as I am happy with my ride and the work that I have on my truck especially since I was apart of every aspect of its build then who cares.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts