GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well recently, I have noticed a clunking sound when i go around sharp corners at lower speeds. The clunk comes from the drivers side( i thought it could be the bushing in the body mount clunking). But I think it could be some suspension part.

I jacked the truck up tonight to see if I had any play in the steering. I pulled the wheel back and forth and the tire would turn. I had to put some force in it, but it did seem to have some play. I know I have read somewhere what this is, but I cant remember. Any help?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Well recently, I have noticed a clunking sound when i go around sharp corners at lower speeds. The clunk comes from the drivers side( i thought it could be the bushing in the body mount clunking). But I think it could be some suspension part.

I jacked the truck up tonight to see if I had any play in the steering. I pulled the wheel back and forth and the tire would turn. I had to put some force in it, but it did seem to have some play. I know I have read somewhere what this is, but I cant remember. Any help?
what year truck? intermediate shaft?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
intermediate shaft is my bet. they are poorly designed and clunk. but if you wanna check the above stated, jack up your truck and push and pull on your wheels and check for play.this will check your pitman arm, idler and tie rods. get a pry bar put under the tire and apply upwards pressure if you have movement up and down with this test you need balljoints or maybe the actual unit bearing

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
:word: my suggestions are unlikely but possible. I forgot about the NBS intermediate steering shaft problems.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i quit puttin intermediate shafts in my truck they only lasted like 90 days and out again. but it is fucking annoying and i here the newest gm unit is good (its like the 4 or 5 design)

if its the intermediate shaft it will feel like its in the steering wheel and you will feel it like every bump and corner basically like 90% of the time you drive your truck

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
Are you cranked at all? If its not the shaft it's probably the tie rod ends.

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
could be anything that was lised.. TRE, BJs, steering shaft.. I have the newest design steering shaft and its been good. 40k and no problems.

·
Weapons
375 Posts
my shaft has been crap for a long time now, i just live with it for now. I need to replace all the stated above, truck is coming up on 100k soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts