GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a thread somewhere already regarding the 160 and 180 thermostats? I'd like to know how they help performance and what their affects are on the engine....The jet chip I installed recommends a 180. I think 195 came stock in my 2k suburban?

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
2kSub said:
Is there a thread somewhere already regarding the 160 and 180 thermostats? I'd like to know how they help performance and what their affects are on the engine....The jet chip I installed recommends a 180. I think 195 came stock in my 2k suburban?

low-temp thermostats dramatically reduce your engine’s operating temperatures, improving performance and extending component longevity.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
onyx said:
low-temp thermostats dramatically reduce your engine’s operating temperatures, improving performance and extending component longevity.

LOL, sounds like an answer from a text book. :haha:

Anyway, a lower temp thermo will help drop temps to a certain extent. Next you'll need a wider radiator to max those benifits of lower temps and perhaps a dual core radiator also.

I'm looking for a bad 28" 1/2 ton rad, I'm going to recore it to a two core 34" width to use in my truck.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Bwhahahaha! :d

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
onyx said:
extending component longevity.
This part could be debated.

I've used the 160, 180, and 195 in mine. The only difference I noticed between the 160 and 180 was a loss of 2 mpg. With a 180 stat, I averaged 16mpg on an 800 mile trip earlier this month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts