GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I need more power!!!!!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to know if anyone is herd of problems with leaking head gaskets on the 4.3L. My 2001's low coolant light comes on about every 6,000 miles and the reservoir is low, so i keep adding more coolant but it is not leaking anywhere that i can tell. However i did see someone posted a thread about the water pump leaking but i don't think that is the problem and that was also with the 4.8, idk if they have the same pump or not. But anyways does anyone have clue if this is a known problem and have any possible solutions.

I also was wondering if anyone was having problems with there steering felling kinda loose? When driving through a parking lot at slow speeds and i cut the wheel it feels like i have loose tie-rod ends or something but my dad was having the same exact problem with his Yukon XL and when he took it to the dealer the said it was no big deal, the steering system was just getting a little bit looser. Unfortunately i cant stand it when things are not right so im gonna have to fix this problem one way or another, anyone have any ideas or have this same problem? :think:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The 4.3s, 5.0s, & 5.7s are notorious for a leaky intake gasket moreso than the head gaskets. When it gets bad enough it can ruin a motor.

The steering is probably the intermediate shaft, another common problem...do some searching on here for tons of info.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Put a cooling sys pressure tester on the rad and pump it up to 18 psi and check for leaks. The gage should hold pressure for 5-10 min. If the pressure drops, look for leaks and use a bright light. If nothing external is found,
FryZ71 is correct, the intake is most likely the problem. Are you making oil or not? If so, get it taken care of FAST. If your not making oil, do you get puffs of white smoke from the tail pipe? If so, your burning the coolant through the cylinder and out the exhaust. Also, it sounds wierd, but smell your exhaust, does it smell sweet? Thats another indicator of burning coolant. The cat's will sometimes mask a small leak and you won't see the smoke, but the exhaust will smell sweet.

·
I need more power!!!!!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thank you for the help... do think the problem could lead to poor gas millage as well, and how soon do you think i should try to get this problem fixed because its been doing it for about 8 months now and is progressivly getting worse, but i like to do my own work and i am up at school right now and its only 5 degrees out right now, so access to a garage could be tough. Also, GPSilverado what do you mean by making oil? Because i have good oil pressure and my oil is clean.

·
I need more power!!!!!!
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh I see... Well it seems like I would see it then on the oil when I check it, but maybe not. Do you think a professional diagnostics computer would be able to help identify the problem, because the high school I graduated from has, what I believe is called the geniuses computer and I should have access to it... Anyways thanks for the help im gonna try to get this problem resolved next week.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A scanner is not going to help you find the coolant leak. You are going to have to pressurize the system and search for it. If it's internal, and you make it sound like it is, it may turn out to be a lot of work. Go back to your high sc hool and talk to the instructor. Sounds like this might be a good thing for the class to look at. The scanner you mention is one of the best, but it's for drivability problems. Heck, go ahead a scan the ECM and see if you have any codes stored. Can't hurt.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
My truck is in the shop for this exact same thing. Its got the 5.7 w 86K, but it started leaking really badly on the driver side. I thought it was just the intake gasket, but when my mechanic tore it down he found out it was the head gasket. The only way to know where it's leaking if you can't find it is to tear it down and just replace the gaskets. Be sure to keep a check on the oil. If you're not careful you'll have a crankcase full of soapy milk looking oil and thats not good, not good at all.

The head gaskets on my 99 5.3 also cracked at 77K and it did mix with the oil before I caught it. 20K miles after I fixed it I was hunting for a new engine.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My truck is in the shop for this exact same thing. Its got the 5.7 w 86K, but it started leaking really badly on the driver side. I thought it was just the intake gasket, but when my mechanic tore it down he found out it was the head gasket. The only way to know where it's leaking if you can't find it is to tear it down and just replace the gaskets. Be sure to keep a check on the oil. If you're not careful you'll have a crankcase full of soapy milk looking oil and thats not good, not good at all.

The head gaskets on my 99 5.3 also cracked at 77K and it did mix with the oil before I caught it. 20K miles after I fixed it I was hunting for a new engine.
Damn man, Im gettin worried now. I have the 99 5.3 L and not too long ago I kept having to fill my coolant reservoir back up so we thought it was the head gasket because we couldnt find any radiator leaks. We just put some of that stop leak stuff in the radiator and it solved the problem. Do you guys think its actually one of these gaskets messed up. Ive changed my oil since then and it looks normal.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Pressure test the system, that will tell you for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts