GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im looking for things to put on my truck to help with gas mileage. Its a 99 z71 with 5.3L.

ive heard some good and bad about intakes

im also thinking abouta tune but which one?

what else guys im just wanting mileage really.

·
Texas Born & Raised!
4,536 Posts
Open up the exhaust, a decent intake and a Nelson tune oughta help you ought some!

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
Dont Drive Fast

·
Registered
807 Posts
really an intake will do a little if any...probly not worth how much cash to power/gas mileage, and a tune would be a very good idea i have a nelson tune and i love it, its tuned for DD/racer and 93 octane gas and i got like 3mpg out of it. but every truck is different allen(owner of nelson performance) told me and one truck could see 1mpg or it could get up to 4, but he has NEVER had a case of a truck loosing mpg out of a tune...

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
DDF:roflmao:...just do what lethalyoyo is doin in his 2nd video in his sig and you will get AWSOME gas mileage:rofl2:..
thats in the sand and it was fun, with the new cam swap and the tune i gained about 3-4 MPG

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Shouldn't have been in a truck if you're concerned about economy.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Shouldn't have been in a truck if you're concerned about economy.
that doesn't mean you can't still get good gas mileage.

Here is what I would do:

wait4me tune- My reasoning is that a Nelson tune is better but it's also $200 more. The wait4me tune will pay for itself sooner than the nelson tune will.

E-fans- People have sworn they got 2-3 mpg increase with them. I have no personal experience so I can't say for sure.

Intake- just cut a big hole in the bottom of your air box. Spending $200 on an intake won't pay for itself and you won't gain hardly any performance.

Exhaust-Just run a dynomax bullet. Cheap and simple but sounds awesome.

Just some numbers from my actual experience:

Stock truck- I got 17 mpg on 87 octane

same truck with tune/exhaust/intake- I got 19.5 on 93

Same truck with EFI Live($650 computer tuning program)/ Tune/Exhaust/TR224 camshaft- I now currently get 22 mpg driving around 75-80 mph all highway on 93 octane

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Oh I agree, but I don't see a gas powered truck attaining anymore than 19-22mpg freeway. That's nothing great.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
sorry we cant all drive nazi mobiles:read:

LOL, that's not my point. A truck by its nature is for work/play, not stellar economy. I got sick of 13-15mpg city and 16.5-18mpg mixed. I brew my own Biodiesel (40-60¢ a gal) and get the worst of 21mpg CITY with my Diesel fleet. Hell, for the $300 I bought my 240D for.. you simply can't beat it.

Anyway, the biggest help for my Z was a tune. GM leaves PILES left on the table as the driveline is unable to support the power of the GenIIIs. Intake won't do anything for economy. E-fans will. Pulleys will some as they reduce parasitic drag. A full exhaust will help too as the vehicle is more efficient. Mild cams do also.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
LOL, that's not my point. A truck by its nature is for work/play, not stellar economy. I got sick of 13-15mpg city and 16.5-18mpg mixed. I brew my own Biodiesel (40-60¢ a gal) and get the worst of 21mpg CITY with my Diesel fleet. Hell, for the $300 I bought my 240D for.. you simply can't beat it.

Anyway, the biggest help for my Z was a tune. GM leaves PILES left on the table as the driveline is unable to support the power of the GenIIIs. Intake won't do anything for economy. E-fans will. Pulleys will some as they reduce parasitic drag. A full exhaust will help too as the vehicle is more efficient. Mild cams do also.
yep cam will help im really happy with that :rocking:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Throttle body spacers do wonders.

Nah, my family has three trucks that all get the same mileage. It's just the way it is with these trucks. We have an '01 Tahoe with the 5.3, an '04 ECSB Sierra with the 5.3, and my '05 RCSB Sierra with the 4.8 and E-fans. All three weigh different, have different mileage, I have a smaller displaced engine, we have 3.23 and 3.73 gears, and I have E-fans... and they all get the same mileage.

I've had exhaust systems, intakes, programmers, etc on older trucks and none of them made a difference in mileage.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well this truck is daily driven and its just not practical for me to drive a car plus i like my space. I had the W4m on my old truck and it was ok i think i got what i paid for in it. May try a nelson this time. My buddy has a predator programer and likes it.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts