GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 for High Pinion Dana 60. Has a dual steering stabilizer and superwinch lockout hubs. I will need to replace the open diff with 3.54s, planning on a detroit and 5.13s to match the rear. Ill rebuild the kingpin and run crossover steering, maybe even hysteer crossover if i can scrounge cash for the hysteer arms. I should be getting it in early feb when the seller gets back into the US.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah im really getting excited, by the end of spring break I should have both axles rebuilt and probably the transfer case as well. After that its just saving for the tires/rims and other misc parts, buying/fabbing brackets and steering componets. Then the torch gets a workout!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Damn dude, it really does look like everything is startin to come together real fast. If you get that job in the 4x4 shop, you will truely be set. Congrats man.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I wouldn't run hysteer unless you plan on going with aftermarket knuckles. The ford knuckles are notorious for cracking at the upper kingpin from steerin forces up there... GM ones do it to but not as bad, Fords are very weak. You may be able to get away with it without hydro steering but if you go hydro assist your doomed.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
so just run the rod in the stock location and the drag to teh pass side?
Yup, draglink to the top of the pass. side knuckle and tie rod at stock location...

For added strength, you can get a 1.5" per foot taper reamer from a race car shop. Ream out the knuckles TRE hole from the top down and install the large GM TRE's that have a 7/8" shank. Then make a new tie rod. You will gain about 4" of tie rod clearance and you will have stronger ends and a stronger tie rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts