GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we drove to tulsa and back yesterday (5 hours trip total) and today the transfer case on the sierra sounds pretty bad... I'm pretty sure it's the T-case at least, when I got it up on stands and ran it in gear that's the noisiest area. I got it in the garage tonight and I'll diagnose more tommorrow. it almost sounds like a pad grinding on a rotor, not so much grinding metal, but much worse than just rubbing component sound. Not sure what to expect really, this is my first 4WD truck. :guns:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ouch... new GM unit is $1300...

Dealership said that it's not all that uncommon that these go south. Is this true?

Truck has 90K miles on it, I've had it for about 3 months.

I can say that the rearend needs attention too, it's got some backlash issues and is pretty clunky...

·
meow
15,748 Posts
well first of don't get work done by a stealership. I've owned three 4wd's and I've had one go out, and it was the first time i've ever heard of a t-case going bad. Take it to another shop and have them check it before the stealership charges u to replace everything.

·
Registered
807 Posts
instead of a pad gringing on a rotor...does it sound like a bike chain grinding? there is a big fat chain in there, and alot of people with bad t-cases have said it sounds like a bike chain grinding...

as for getting a new t-case. do NOT buy a brand new one, its a waste of money to get raped by the dealer like that:imo. go on www.car-part.com and search for one in your area theres probly a ton listed on there, i use that site all the time its great for finding junkyard stuff.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, update time...

I got it up and went to drain the fluid, basically EMPTY. Granted, I've only had the truck a few months now, but I've been procrastinating to do the trans/transfercase/rearend maintenance...

So... I put about two quarts of fresh ATF in it and it's silent now...

I've got my buddy looking into a rebuild kit for it, but I wonder if it's still in OK shape?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well now the bastard is leaking like crazy. Coming out of the seam in the case right by one of the bolt holes that hold the two parts together...

:guns:

·
meow
15,748 Posts
you should be able to take it to a machine shop and have them fix that. Just weld it up and re drill the hole. Cost less than a new t-case thats for sure

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, scratch that also. I wiped everything down and drove the truck from my parent's house to my house, and again, I can't determine where it's coming from. It is enough of a drip that it's getting on the torsion bar crossmember, exhaust, and fuel tanks from the wind when I'm driving.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHA....

Found the real culprit finally. When I put it in drive on jackstands and climb under there, it's just chugging out an 1/8" hairline crack in the T-case.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm going next week after work and having it welded up real fast. I still fear that the case is on it's dying bed from running empty before I found this issue.

:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts