GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a vehicle just for roading.. Thinking I might get an old Ranger with I Beams, then slap on a camburg long travel kit, some fiberglass fenders and some 31-33" tires, this would be built for the desert obviously, you guys think that would be a good setup if I wanted to go through with all of this.....?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I've debated about this for a while. After riding in several high dollar pre runners and several high dollar sand rails, the sand rails are much much funner.

If you have a cheapo ford ranger... yeah it might have a nice suspension setup.. but the engine will be tired and 95% of the rangers I see in pismo get stuck if they stop. As long as you keep going, you'll be ok.. but the moment you stop, you are pretty much stuck unless you are right on the beach.

A sand rail has much better power to weight ratio, and you can actually jump a sand rail and not worry about it. On a ranger, you have all kinds of joints, plus a weak frame.

You can find a nice sand rail with a stock VW motor, around 9" of wheel travel, a powdercoated frame, some chrome, for $5,000.

My friend has a 2002 2 seat frame with a arms in the front, and a 5 link rear. 17" of travel. Bilstein shocks. 2180? cc VW 4 banger with a holley supercharger. At 12 lbs of boost he has 200 hp. That is a lot considering it only weighs 600 lbs dry. He has the best tires, and custom powdercoating, and custom flames, so he kinda went all out on his. He bought it for $13,000.

So i don't know what your limit is on $$, but if you want to spend $5,000-$15,000, you could build or buy a very nice buggy.

I have a couple pics of my buddies on my cardomain page. Check out page 2 or 3 i believe.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/10inchz71

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
klemmentine said:
I've debated about this for a while. After riding in several high dollar pre runners and several high dollar sand rails, the sand rails are much much funner.

and gooder too. :anitoof:

sandrails rock :rocking: i went to pismo on saturday... some guys with dune buggies were doing donuts and shit on the beach until the beach patrol came. it was pretty tite

1 - 4 of 4 Posts