GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, Im about to get me a new sub and amp. Im just going to get 1 12" sub to have some good bass, im not looking to break any sound records. Im plannin on going all Rockford Fosgate. I am going to go w/ a Punch Stage 3 12" sub. What Fosgate amp would be good for this sub? Also, do I want to go w/ a 4 or 2 ohm setup and why? And lastly, id like to have a cool box, not just your everyday truck box, where should i look and what kinda prices am i lookin at for that? Thanks for the help.

Will

ps - go slow w/ your explanations, im audio illiterate! :anitoof: :LOL:

·
Registered
72 Posts
well im not all that good about audio but fosgate isnt that good. They're decent in sound but i wouldnt go with it. JL audio is really good if you wanna bump. Umm Kicker L9's are supposed to bump nicely. For the amp. Maybe go with a MTX probably 600-800 watt amp for the one 12'' sub. Im not so sure though.

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, let me rephrase. Ive had Fosgate in the past and been really pleased w/ it. Im not looking to bump, I just want some nice bass for my country and rock music. Im not looking to spend even $1000 on the complete system. My last system were 2 10" RF HE2s w/ a RF 500a2 amp and I was more than satisfied w/ it and it was a very good sounding setup. Maybe thatll give a little more info as to what Im lookin for.

edit - also, my last system that i mentioned above "bumped" more than Im lookin for my new one too as Im just goin w/ the one sub.

·
GMFS Firefighter
133 Posts
I know I am a newbie here, but I am not a newbie in car audio. I dont think you will be all that happy with fosgate, they just dont sound that good to me, also, they have some quality control problems. I would say go with an adire audio shiva, they sound really good and they can get pretty loud. They are also pretty cheap, bout $125. maybe a US acoustics, or a soundstream amp. Just my opinion, I doubt you would get much better than that for the money.
Adire Audio

As for a box, I could build you a box, me and a friend build them all the time, I can build it designed specifically for that sub, and if you want it painted, I can do a killer paint job. however you want it, just thought I would offer anyway. I will try to post a link to some pics of some boxes we have built.
Later, Wes

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am about 99, well who am i kiddin, 100% set on all Fosgate. Ive had it before and its always been great and lasted great. Im not real particular about my audio stuff, just so long as it sounds good and clear and smooth. I guess Ill just head up to the local audio shop and see what they say about the Fosgate subs and amp. I might get back w/ you about those boxes if they have nothing there that I like. Im just over in Jonesboro, AR, not too awful far from yall.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
04HEMI said:
I am about 99, well who am i kiddin, 100% set on all Fosgate. Ive had it before and its always been great and lasted great. Im not real particular about my audio stuff, just so long as it sounds good and clear and smooth. I guess Ill just head up to the local audio shop and see what they say about the Fosgate subs and amp. I might get back w/ you about those boxes if they have nothing there that I like. Im just over in Jonesboro, AR, not too awful far from yall.
I'm a RF fan myself. Why I don't know?! I have 1 RF HE2 10" with a RF 201S pushing it. It's sounds pretty good to me. No that much bump and prolly about what you're looking for. I'm going to be adding another 10" HE2 with a RF 801S pushing them pretty soon. I think the 201S or a little bigger is about what you need for what you want.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yea man a 12" HE2 will sound just fine for what you want. I personally run a JBL 600.1 and that would be plenty of power to run that sub. The amp runs like 185 not sure on the speaker but its not but $150 or so... Im not up to date on fosgate amps so Im not sure what they have out...but the JBL is a good amp for the $$$

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the new Stage 3 Punch subs are just the new name for the HE2s like I used to have. Off of crutchfield the Stage 3s are $229 and I figured a 300.1 Punch amp would be plenty. It was $199 on crutchfield. I use crutchfield as a reference as the local shop usually carries the stuff at the same price. So I take it that I would want the 2 ohm sub and run the amp at 2 ohms for the full 300w, right? Would that cause the amp to overheat? Im hopeful theyll have a reasonably nice box there as Ive got all kinds of room behing the seats. So adding all up, 230 + 200 + 200 for box and install, thats what $630. Damn, this audio shit is expensive. Ahh well, I guess I should start savin. :anitoof:

·
Need to go faster!
376 Posts
Check out this place for great prices.
I'm currently putting together a system for my truck, and I've not found better prices anywhere on ANYTHING these guys carry. I've ordered from them several times and not had any problems.

www.ikesound.com :head:

·
GPS Guru
347 Posts
04HEMI said:
Yeah, the new Stage 3 Punch subs are just the new name for the HE2s like I used to have. Off of crutchfield the Stage 3s are $229 and I figured a 300.1 Punch amp would be plenty. It was $199 on crutchfield. I use crutchfield as a reference as the local shop usually carries the stuff at the same price. So I take it that I would want the 2 ohm sub and run the amp at 2 ohms for the full 300w, right? Would that cause the amp to overheat? Im hopeful theyll have a reasonably nice box there as Ive got all kinds of room behing the seats. So adding all up, 230 + 200 + 200 for box and install, thats what $630. Damn, this audio shit is expensive. Ahh well, I guess I should start savin. :anitoof:
If your wanting a badass box, custom built, come to Pocahontas. I know a guy here that can build anything you can imagine, and he's cheap too. He built my box(es) two seperate boxes, amp rack in the middle, carpetted to match my interior, all the wires are hidden, and he even bolted it to the floor so it wouldnt move! The subs are recessed to save legroom, and the box kinda wraps around the back of the cab. He did all this, and installed it for $130 bucks! BTW, I still have that Fosgate head unit you sold me, its still going strong! :anitoof:

·
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet, thanks for the heads up Nick. Ill probly want that guys number in a couple months. The new system has been put on the backburner for a new hood as of right now. But it will be one of my next 2 mods. Good to hear the radio is still going strong, it never let me down! :rocking:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts