GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a couple guys are looking into starting up a mobile detail company around town. We do all the detailing for our families and friends and do a good job in my eyes. Just going to see if anyone could offer any advice or tips or anything like that. Thanks guys

·
1,847 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same. I enjoy detailing. Do any of you detailers gone to school to learn how to do everything or is it all self taught. Hopefully I'm not thread jacking

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all of our stuff is self taught....one guy worked at a mister car wash as a detailer for awhile

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
I'm also doing this on the side, just starting as well. All i can say is straigthen out your roles and responsibilites if you are in a multi partnership. Review all the products you can and keep learning what works best for you.

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
that and look into insurance so that if someone says you scratched their car, you dont have to pay to get it painted

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
I wish there was a "real" detail place around here. Its just a mobile wash thing. No one really does a "real" detail around like with a pc or a buffer. Everyone I talk to either takes their cars to a damn car wash or just hand washes them at their house. No one understand what it means to really detail a car aournd here :imo

·
T Nigs
1,318 Posts
Yeah i was going to say look into getting insured and bonded. Otherwise i was going to advise against starting something like this with your friends, something is bound to cause conflict. but good luck in this economy, its not gonna be easy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea we have already started looking into insurance. we do a lot of power washing already...like driveways and construction equipment. The construction equipment thing pays really well seeing as how that is my first source of income. So I know plenty of people in the field, its easy to get the word out about that.

·
A walking ball of wax
3,549 Posts
1. Partnerships suck and rarely work out :lol:.

2. I wouldn't jump head first into the company. Start out by doing details for friends and family and let word of mouth bring you business. The last thing you want is to grow too fast without the proper skills to perfect a car.

I would take the time to learn how to use a pc/rotary to correct paint before going all out on customers cars if you haven't already. It takes a *while* to perfect it, I'm still not at the perfection level yet.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
1. Partnerships suck and rarely work out :lol:.

2. I wouldn't jump head first into the company. Start out by doing details for friends and family and let word of mouth bring you business. The last thing you want is to grow too fast without the proper skills to perfect a car.

I would take the time to learn how to use a pc/rotary to correct paint before going all out on customers cars if you haven't already. It takes a *while* to perfect it, I'm still not at the perfection level yet.
agreed :biggrin:

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
agreed :biggrin:
X2. There's a lot to it that people don't factor in. The biggest thing is insurance. I would check with a few local places on coverage as a lot of people don't think about it till its to late. Are you going to be picking up/dropping off the cars or are you going to be only true mobile. When your asking them questions make you know whats covered and what's excluded. One of the best things I've done is had a pre-detail vechicle condition report made up along with pictures. This way I can show everything that is wrong with the car before I even touch it. Have the owner of the car sign off after your done with the report.

Do you have experience with a rotary? As being mobile your most likely not going to be able to have multiple days to work on a car, so being fast while still doing work that you would want done to your car is needed. Are you going to be doing mostly nicer cars? Or are you going to be doing trashed soccer mom suv's/vans where a true extractor is going to be needed. Are you going to do this out of the back of your truck or get a van? Are you going to rely on other peoples electric/water (I wouldn't), generator/water tank is necessary.

The majority of my mobile details are only a wash and interior cleaned (a lot of soccer moms). They don't care about swirls/scratches etc, they just want it to look clean. And the interiors are what really makes the detail as there usually trashed. I really don't like doing correction work being mobile. Mostly its just a AIO or wash and wax. I'd much rather be at my shop to perform correction work but then its all about working around a schedule with the client. You've got to think of what the demand is in your area. Call a few other local detail shops and see what there charging/offering. Also a way to advertise or get your name out there. Leave business cards anywhere you can (they may get thrown out but there cheap enough). I will also do a few free details at local car events/charity events as then your name is really out there. Every person I will talk to will walk away knowing that I have a mobile detailing business.

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
X2. There's a lot to it that people don't factor in. The biggest thing is insurance. I would check with a few local places on coverage as a lot of people don't think about it till its to late. Are you going to be picking up/dropping off the cars or are you going to be only true mobile. When your asking them questions make you know whats covered and what's excluded. One of the best things I've done is had a pre-detail vechicle condition report made up along with pictures. This way I can show everything that is wrong with the car before I even touch it. Have the owner of the car sign off after your done with the report.

Do you have experience with a rotary? As being mobile your most likely not going to be able to have multiple days to work on a car, so being fast while still doing work that you would want done to your car is needed. Are you going to be doing mostly nicer cars? Or are you going to be doing trashed soccer mom suv's/vans where a true extractor is going to be needed. Are you going to do this out of the back of your truck or get a van? Are you going to rely on other peoples electric/water (I wouldn't), generator/water tank is necessary.

The majority of my mobile details are only a wash and interior cleaned (a lot of soccer moms). They don't care about swirls/scratches etc, they just want it to look clean. And the interiors are what really makes the detail as there usually trashed. I really don't like doing correction work being mobile. Mostly its just a AIO or wash and wax. I'd much rather be at my shop to perform correction work but then its all about working around a schedule with the client. You've got to think of what the demand is in your area. Call a few other local detail shops and see what there charging/offering. Also a way to advertise or get your name out there. Leave business cards anywhere you can (they may get thrown out but there cheap enough). I will also do a few free details at local car events/charity events as then your name is really out there. Every person I will talk to will walk away knowing that I have a mobile detailing business.

good point wagon

i myself just plan on sticking to a PC for now
in the process of investigating insurance
trying to earn busniess from friends first, before i start advesrtising
not mobile, i like to be comfortable and in my surroundings so i can work peacefully and not in a rush, and have somewhere to store a vehicle if needs more than a days work.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,237 Posts
Ive been detailing for about 5 years now on the side. Me and a buddy of mine who has a decent bit of experience from a body shop started working together about 2 years ago. We are not mobile and only do it on the side. I have done ZERO advertising and its all by word of mouth. I am not looking to get into mobile detailing since I prefer working out of my shop. I have learned a ton from other detailers and just by experience. This is something you will never stop learning. There are always new products and types of problems available. One second you think youve just about seen everything in a car and then BAM a leopard print thong falls out of an overhead console...

A couple things you may have to think about if going mobile is, water(bring it or hook up somewhere), power(bring generator or tap in somewhere), run off (your city may have a ordinance or law against some types of runoff).

Good luck with the business and remember if you are fair, nice, and do thorough work you will build a good reputation.

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
I will help spread the word Josh. gimme some decals and i'll throw it on the rides.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea we have a hotsy power washer with a 500 gallon tank on it and a generator so we are self sufficient on that aspect. Like I said, we have been doing a lot of power washing and wanted to think about expanding to a true mobile detail since we do it on the side already for family and friends. We are more or less just kicking the idea around right now

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
preciate it man....ill let you know once we get started if its something we truely decide we are wanting to do. In the mean time, if you know anyone that needs their driveway, patio, house, ect. power washed let em know we are doing it. And either give me a call or shoot me a PM

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Good luck, my uncle has a hand car wash place by I-10 and he bring in around 1k a day or more, IMO the "detail" customers are more limited since most people could careless about swirls and just want a clean looking car. The slipsh slash place by me is always packed and they cause more swirls than when the car came in,lol.

Just somehing to think about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts