GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have some 2" drop leafs+shackles for my 4" drop, and I've never really been happy with the ride. I'm thinking the stock leafs with hangers+shackles might ride better.....

Is it necessary to drop the gas tank to get the stock hanger off the d.side?

Those with hanger+shackles....how much clearance do you have to your bumpstops/frame? Right now I have about 3.5-4" clearance to the frame (no bumpstops) and I'm worried there will be less clearance w/the stock leafs.

Who makes the best hanger? DJM, McGaughy's, Western Chassis.......only ones I know that sell just the hangers.

Do the hanger kits usually come with grade 8 hardware?

thanks for the help

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
We got my hangers off without dropping the gas tank. We did losen it a bit so it would have some play in it. It probably would be better to just drop it for peace of mind (sparks next to a gas tank are kinda scary)

I don't know of any companies who sell just the hangers, I haven't really researched it. I do know a buddy of mine who has a set of 2" belltech hangers for sale though, you'd have to get your own hardware for them since they are just the hangers themselves.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks y2k - I may be interested in the hangers if I can find out exactly what size of bolts to get - I'd probably end up getting better grade 8 hardware anyways if the kits didn't come with them already.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to mess with all of this yet.....might just try some shock extenders and see how it improves the ride. If that doesn't help I might go all out and get some new mcgaughys spindles and a hanger kit.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i just put on my belltech hangers.. rides good even without an alignment.. wasnt too bad to install either

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I was running 3" drop leafs, 2" hangers, and 2" shackles on mine. I put the factory shackles back on and it sits around 6 1/2"'s now. I have DJM hangers on mine that I bought off of a friend. We just loosened the tank also.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
pewter00 said:
claye.. i thought you went with a flip kit?
Nope, to start with I used the 3" drop leafs with 2" shackles to get my 3/5 and then I added the hangers to get 7" in the back. That was uneven so I put the stock shackles back on. It sits at about 6.5" in the back now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o3carbon - what brand of C notch did you go with, and did you weld or bolt it in (or are they all welded)?

I'm just assuming its notched b/c I only have about 3.5-4" of clearance to the frame w/my 4" drop (really about 4.5 I think)

thanks for the info

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
O3GMC said:
o3carbon - what brand of C notch did you go with, and did you weld or bolt it in (or are they all welded)?

I'm just assuming its notched b/c I only have about 3.5-4" of clearance to the frame w/my 4" drop (really about 4.5 I think)

thanks for the info
I didn't have it notched with my 3/5. It bottomed out with bumps and dips and didn't ride that well. I notched when I went lower in the rear with a DJM notch I bought from a friend of mine. We just welded it in. It doesn't matter if you weld it or bolt it up. I just didn't want to drill those damn holes for it so we just welded it since you're not going to take it off anyway. IMO though I'd say a Belltech notch is better than DJM since it covers over the whole frame. Or you could make one easy as hell too. There's nothing to it really.

·
Registered
274 Posts
03Carbondogg said:
Nope, to start with I used the 3" drop leafs with 2" shackles to get my 3/5 and then I added the hangers to get 7" in the back. That was uneven so I put the stock shackles back on. It sits at about 6.5" in the back now.

hey 03Carbon,

how much clearance did you have from the frame to the axle with your 3/5? i am thinking about doing a 3/5 but i might just go with 3/4 for right now b/c i dont want to notch the frame yet

·
Registered
476 Posts
Black Iced said:
hey 03Carbon,

how much clearance did you have from the frame to the axle with your 3/5? i am thinking about doing a 3/5 but i might just go with 3/4 for right now b/c i dont want to notch the frame yet
I'd notch with a 3/4 - VERY little travel even with pancake bumpstops. (1 1/4")
I used a ART C-Notch, Very nice. It wraps the frame and had a tubular support along the top.

LK

·
Registered
274 Posts
thanx Alwhite for the info. i had the notch on my old frame done by ekstensive metal works here in houston. they did an awesome job and it held up nicely. i got in a wreck (got slammed while sitting still by a truck doing 40mph) about 1 month after they did it and it didnt hurt anything. they boxed the frame and made there own notch. really quality work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts