GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:hmm:This will be my second lifted truck, but the frist to have a suspension set up. ( Had a dodge with a body lift) been looking around the net for the last few weeks tring to find a 6+ lift kit that good for the money. The rough country caught my eye because of the price. trying to compare all the differnet lifts is hard, because i really cant tell the difference between them. Procomp, rought country, Rancho ect ect...
What do you guys think of this ket for a mostly DD but will see the mud every now again and the 4 wheel parks a couple times a year.

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_99-06_6ntd.html

Thanks
:hmm:

·
Registered
564 Posts
just put my rc kit on, its not the ntd but was a good quality kit,

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
liftedLQ9 runs the normal RCX kit in the dunes all the time and hasnt reported any problems so sounds like its a solid kit :head:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how hard are they to install. I have air tools, and have done car work before. Did that BL lift on the dodge about 2 months ago... then a hail storm totalled it out.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
If you're looking for a Non-torsion-bar drop kit, I'd HIGHLY recommend the BDS "High-Clearance" lift kits. That is what I'm running right now with nothing but good things to say about it.
Lifetime warranty, need I say more?

Lots of options to choose with the BDS kits too, unlike Rough Country that only sells it one way, or no way. I was actually originally looking at the RC NTD kit too, but when I asked them a few things about leaving some things out, or adding some other things, they basically gave me the cold shoulder and said "nope".
Completely different story with BDS.

I'm also running the BDS ride-glide leaf springs too, instead of using a super stiff AAL or stupid big block..., although they do offer those options if you are on more of a budget.

....and dayum, your Dodge got totalled out by a hailstorm?! That is Brutal! I'd be pissed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea, we had 22 minutes of golf ball to baseball sized hail. think the damage to my dodge was about $7,000 and it was just a 2002 Dakota. But i had just lifted it, and was on the computer a hour before the storm came in ordering 800 buck worth of stereo shit.

·
Registered
564 Posts
took me about 8 hours start to finsh to put mine on, the ntd should take a little less, cause instead of the 8 holes i drilled in the frame for the tb drop brackets you only need one hole in each lca iirc... and that was all on the ground with floor jack, stand and air tools... not bad at all

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well ordered my XD chrome diesels today, and have a set of 315/70/17r sitting at home. ITs about time i bight the bullet and get a lift. Does anyone thing its worth the money to get the NTD or just save a few bucks and get the plain old lift?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
i have installed the regular rcx kit on one truck, taken it off that truck, and installed it on another. Its definitely a good kit, very similar in design to my $2200 cognito. the only thing i don't like is that it's a very small kit. i bet you don't even get 6" of lift without having horrible cv angles.

the ntd is up to you. i have been hung up several times offorad by my torsion bar crossmember. but if you don't wheel, then its just personal preference on the look. i think it looks better without the drop personally.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so its not a true 6 inch? will i still be able to run 35s.

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
It's not a full drop kit like the cognito, so the last inch or two you get out of most of these kits is due to cranking the t-bars. When you crank the bars with the full drop cognito you end up with 9".

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still new to all this, so this maybe a dumb question but could I add a leveling kit to my truck as well as that lift?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
I'm still new to all this, so this maybe a dumb question but could I add a leveling kit to my truck as well as that lift?
nope. not possible on these year trucks.

i will say that if i could do it over again, i would probably do the RCX and a body lift, and have an extra $900 in my bank account.

·
Registered
564 Posts
rcx come with a 5" block to replace the stock 2" block in the rear, so not exactly a huge kit but you could run 35's no problem, i'm gonna get my AAL put in too, soon as i can get my hands on some longer u-bolts, my trucks a lot taller than a stock z71, but not nearly as noticable compared to a body lifted tb cranked truck, i shoulda gone cognito 10-12.... soon as its paid off i'm goin sas

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
not a bad fit for the price and the fact its a ntd. only thing i dont like about it is like said above its not a full 6" drop kit so if you get the kit and you want to go higher the only way is a body lift. becuase once your at 6" your at a steep cv angle. plus there shocks suck. but at 1200 bucks you could easily sell those and upgrade to some bilsteins for a few hundred. and still be cheaper than the bds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can anyone suggest a kit that is a full 6 inches that is good but still on the cheaper side?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts