GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about trading my 05 Crew Cab for a new Ext Cab. Everyone says the new model Silverado is so nice, I just don't know much about the new engines.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The engines are the same, IMO. I like crew cabs, and I don't really like the new Silverados a whole lot, so I'd just keep yours.

If you do get a nnbs truck, get a GMC, IMO.

·
GM Trucks & UA
1,635 Posts
The new engines have that fuel save mode where it switches to 4 cylinders while cruising and at idle. Truly though, if you're going to buy a nnbs, the GMCs look much better IMO.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have always been told to never buy the first model year of a vehicle, or redisn year. always give them a chance to work "the bugs out." Some things may have looked good on paper, but don't work not so well after a year or 10k miles. Give them a chance to find what needs to be changed. And, he's right...the GMCs look better. IMO

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get a good price on one with the 4.8 V8, but I have not been able to find much info on that engine.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I can get a good price on one with the 4.8 V8, but I have not been able to find much info on that engine.
its the same small block chevy used in the 99-2007 trucks. And the 327 is the same as well along with the 4.3 and the 6.6 (I hope its a 6.6, I cant remember now :hmm: )

Its a reliable engine. Ive got 93,000 on my 5.3. Knock sensor is out, thats the only problem ive had.

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts
its the same small block chevy used in the 99-2007 trucks. And the 327 is the same as well along with the 4.3 and the 6.6 (I hope its a 6.6, I cant remember now :hmm: )

Its a reliable engine. Ive got 93,000 on my 5.3. Knock sensor is out, thats the only problem ive had.
325. GM's 5.3L = 325.

-bZj

·
JetBlue
2,306 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
"The 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V8 (327 cubic inches) generates 335 pound-feet of torque, enough grunt for all but the most demanding applications." -Autobytel.com

"The 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V8 (327 cubic inches) generates 335 pound-feet of torque, enough grunt for all but the most demanding applications. It's the engine we prefer. It only rates 10 horsepower more than the 4800, but offers a lot more torque, over a broader range of speed. The 5.3-liter's fat torque curve is useful for light towing and hauling, but also makes the Silverado more fun to drive when commuting or out and about. Fuel economy is about the same. For 2005, 4WD Silverado 1500 Extended Cabs with the standard box offer an exclusive, 310-horsepower, all-aluminum version of the 5300 that weighs 100 pounds less than the iron-block engine."

-Automotive.com

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up my new truck, a silver birch extended cab. I got the 5.3 engine with the LT1 package. I can't wait to get a few miles on so I can romp on it some.

I got $2,250 in rebates plus gmsupplier pricing, made for a good deal.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I really like how far those rear doors open. First thing: Remove the dealer sticker. Always my first "mod."

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
"The 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V8 (327 cubic inches) generates 335 pound-feet of torque, enough grunt for all but the most demanding applications." -Autobytel.com

"The 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 V8 (327 cubic inches) generates 335 pound-feet of torque, enough grunt for all but the most demanding applications. It's the engine we prefer. It only rates 10 horsepower more than the 4800, but offers a lot more torque, over a broader range of speed. The 5.3-liter's fat torque curve is useful for light towing and hauling, but also makes the Silverado more fun to drive when commuting or out and about. Fuel economy is about the same. For 2005, 4WD Silverado 1500 Extended Cabs with the standard box offer an exclusive, 310-horsepower, all-aluminum version of the 5300 that weighs 100 pounds less than the iron-block engine."

-Automotive.com
There's alot of debate and it's commonly mistaken that it's a 327, but ask any expert and they'll tell you it's a 325. There's a mathmatical way to figure it out. I just don't know the formula nor do I care to apply it.

·
professional grade
2,999 Posts
There's alot of debate and it's commonly mistaken that it's a 327, but ask any expert and they'll tell you it's a 325. There's a mathmatical way to figure it out. I just don't know the formula nor do I care to apply it.
google with change liters to cubic inches and vice versa. But incase you cant get to google, multiplying the liters x 61 is pretty damn close.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts