GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just purchased a 5.3vortec engine for my truck. what can i do to my heads and intake with a 500 dollar budget(maybe a little more). what would you do? i dont wanna drop in the engine stock(but of course, I'm gonna tell people it is LOL). give me your opinions guys. what kind of cam should i get for the best quater mile times? what valve train do i need to support that cam. what kind of port and polishing can be done to the heads, intake ,and throtle body.

thanx in advance guys

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
The throttle body isnt restrictive on on an n/a 5.3. The stock intake box and tube are somewhat restrictive. You will get a gain by replacing them. AFAIK some porting and polishing can be done to the stock heads, but i dont know how much gain you will net on a stock engine. For a cam? Idk, hopefully a cam guy will reply. I know you sacrifice driveability the more agressive you go. Some cams benefit a lot from a stall converter.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, i heard there is no point in getting a ls1 intake manifold because the 5.3 flows alote better. any comments will be appreciated guys

thanks

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
I wouldnt say it flows better... but I dont know any numbers either... but the truck intake is designed to make more power down low... where a truck will use it as opposed to a car, which wants more high RPM pull...

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Just get a cam with sub 0.560" lift. 4.8/5.3 heads dont flow much more past that to warrant the wearing out of the springs. Buy LS6 springs ('02+) about $60/set. 7.4" rods work with a standard base circle cam. Choose cam first, then pick out rods.

New timing chain. New oil pump. New seals. ARP rod bolts.

You can clean up the heads, don't expect too much with this. 20rwhp max is what I'd guess. Motor simply can't move or use the additional airflow, it's not that large. A three angle job with new seals and some mild porting should be around $400.

LS1 intake does not flow that well, the LS6 does compared to the truck but if you want to swap that's up to you. I know of no easy way to do this at this point, last I saw you had to change and run all LS1 (F or Y bod) accy's. Not worth it. Don't overcam and there is nothing to worry about.

The more power you make, the more stock parts become restrictive. i.e. exhaust manifolds, intake box, throttle body, etc. Since the motor is out, get the TB ported, install headers, and get some sort of high flow intake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts