GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a z71 sierra 00 and from stop to go i always hear a clunk coming from the back end, im guessing my rear end is on its way out. This weekend i was pulling a small boat trailer out of the lake and my tires lost traction and started to spin, it kept clunking over and over shifting the box side to side, as soon as that happened i stopped and put it in 4hi to pull the boat out. Does this sound like the stupid gm crap locker is puked in my truck? If so, how bullet proof is the detroit locker?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I have a z71 sierra 00 and from stop to go i always hear a clunk coming from the back end, im guessing my rear end is on its way out. This weekend i was pulling a small boat trailer out of the lake and my tires lost traction and started to spin, it kept clunking over and over shifting the box side to side, as soon as that happened i stopped and put it in 4hi to pull the boat out. Does this sound like the stupid gm crap locker is puked in my truck? If so, how bullet proof is the detroit locker?
I'd go Detroit Tru Trac but both the TruTrac and Locker are good sturdy units.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
time for a tru trac. or if your lifted with tires and gears, time for a semi floater

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i dont plan on lifting it any time soon, if anything it'd be a small body lift, this is my DD and i just drive it to and from work and to the lake once in awhile, i want something that wont blow out on me on the highway or in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
then just do a tru trac. be careful,when that rear end goes out. it tends to take the tranny with it. Just a heads up

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know im kinda worried right now, i plan on getting it done within the next two weeks. Whats the difference between tru trac and the locker?

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
true trac is a Posi that basically locks the rear tires when traction is needed. The Locker, locks both rear tires at all times. Not the best for towing and icy/snowy conditions.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there any difference in pricing between tru trac and locker? Because i tow little stuff right now, possibly a few snowmobiles come winter but i also want a reliable, good gas mileage rear end

·
For Offroad Use Only
285 Posts
well i dont plan on lifting it any time soon, if anything it'd be a small body lift, this is my DD and i just drive it to and from work and to the lake once in awhile, i want something that wont blow out on me on the highway or in snowy conditions.
As everyone has said, go with the Tru-trac LSD for a daily driver. It is one of the better options out there :imo , and you won't need to worry about it going out on you anytime soon. Gear type LSD's are much stronger, provide a more positive engagement, and are generally just better than a clutch type or Viscous LSD.

I have a Detroit Locker in my truck, but my truck isn't exactly a DD either :crazy: and is more at home on a rocky trail than on pavement, so I don't need to worry much about streetability.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay i will see what a tru trac will cost me haha, i dont mind the fact of having posi though.. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts