GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Who all here is using the Thorley Tri-Y's on their 99+ 5.3 truck? Im looking for any and all input on these. Dont anybody tell me to buy Pacesetters because they are completely out of the question. Anyway, I thought there was somebody on here that had some dyno info witht he Tri-Y's but I cant remember who that was. Just feeling things out because I can get a smoking deal on them at work.

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
man you just opend up a shit storm

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Just feeling things out because I can get a smoking deal on them at work.
and you will be passing that deal on to me right? :head:

i cant remember who it was either..

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
blsnelling and forum moderator brandon (cant think of his user handle) are running them I think.

edit.. ok BDZ71

·
Registered
840 Posts
Best header out there from what I've read. I know I'm sure happy with mine. You get the best of both worlds, TQ/HP. I just wrote this up in another THREAD. Let me know if you've got any questions.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Best header out there from what I've read. I know I'm sure happy with mine. You get the best of both worlds, TQ/HP. I just wrote this up in another THREAD. Let me know if you've got any questions.

YES!

I love them. Should have been the first thing I did to my truck.
Sounds great! Alot better than the stock headers. My buddy following me down the road says its night and day from the stock ones.

And the performance is right on time. Give you power everywhere on the powerband. Not like some that just give you low end and others that just are good for high end. These things give you power from first to redline.

Put it this way. at about 55-65 on the interstate my truck was under power with my tires. I would have to go 70 to keep up speed if I would get to a upgrade in the road. 55-60 Id have to punch it to make it downshift just to keep at speed ( I need gears bad lol )
But I tell ya what. Sence the headers I can go and keep on going. Gave me enough pickup and power right where I needed it that hey, I can accelerate in those places now with no downshifting!!

Plus they look really cool lunder the hood!

Dont think twice. DO IT!

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Sorry forgot something important.

Get the ones for 99-01' trucks!!! And just make a small plate to block off where the EGR hooks up! Those are the long versions.
If you get the ones for the 02+ trucks they made them shortys to directly bold up or something like that. There are more performance gains in the longer ones for the 99-01 trucks.
I can get you a part number if you would like.

THY-310Y Will require exhaust work. But should be really simple.
(I like the cramic coated)
THY-309 - The shortys.. ! NO ! These will bolt directly up no modification. BUT! not as much gains as the other

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry forgot something important.

Get the ones for 99-01' trucks!!! And just make a small plate to block off where the EGR hooks up! Those are the long versions.
If you get the ones for the 02+ trucks they made them shortys to directly bold up or something like that. There are more performance gains in the longer ones for the 99-01 trucks.
I can get you a part number if you would like.

THY-310Y Will require exhaust work. But should be really simple.
(I like the cramic coated)
THY-309 - The shortys.. ! NO ! These will bolt directly up no modification. BUT! not as much gains as the other

Those are the ones I was gonna get. The 310Y-C's. I can do the fab work no problem. Just gotta get my argon filled up. I just wanted feedback from people actually using them before I took the plunge. Ive got ARP header bolts from the last headers I never installed. Plus an extra stainless EGR block-off plate.

I realize these arent a popular header because of the price tag. Not alot of people want to spend that kind of money on a header that the massive truck populous doesnt endorse. Only header around now that gets used is the Pacesetters. IMHO they just are not ideal for a daily driven N/A 5.3 truck. Primaries are too big and the collector is too big. They were made to make big upper RPM power. And they do it well, I wont argue. But they seem to be lacking in the low end department. The coating is another thing that gets me. Plus the shitty, monstorsity they call welds inside the collectors. If you guys havent seen that pic I will go find it. Its fucking terrible.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I got the ceramic coated ones myself, part# 310Y-C. They look just like they did the day I put them on. Should last forever. I got mine at AutoAnything. They're actually cheaper at Summit Racing, but they're not in stock. I had them from AutoAnything in just a few days.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. Im gonna order them midweek next week. If anybody else has some, chime in!

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
If I had it to do agian i wouldn't buy them. I'd rather go back to the pacesetters i had in the first place.

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
All based on butt meter testing. but the only place the tri-y's seemed to give me a hint more power was right off idal every where else the truck seemed to pull harder with the pacesetters. and I only run a 210/218 .551 cam so i don't rev to the moon but i can't tell how high for sure it goes since its tuned by mailorder witch i need to change. but my truck just could be a freak seeing as it only dynoed 230hp at the wheels with full exhaust cam and tune.

Now as far as quality goes i would give that to the thorley's.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Did you make any other changes when you went to Pacesetters?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
I got the ceramic coated also.
Alot of people ive asked and talked to on the boards and all that really pushed them as the best there is for these trucks if your not racing. Now im sure there are some out there that if your redlined at the track might be better. I dont know.

But I do know I wouldnt take anything for mine. They are Perfect and what I easily think are the best you can bolt on a daily driver!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts