GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you like that combo or would you like a lower gear (4.30, 4.56, etc)?

How's it for a DD?
Thanks

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
i have 33's and 3.73's and it is fine. i imagine 4.10's would be as much as you would need, if not more.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
depends on driving, how much you pull/haul, how your terrain is ie real flat or hilly or mountainous.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
also depends on how heavy your truck is and if its lifted or not, imo

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's for an '06 RCSB 4x4 5.3 engine, not lifted. It's flat for the most part where I live, a few hills but nothing extreme. It's my DD and I don't see the highway that often, mostly city driving. I tow a trailer with a couple of dirtbikes + gear twice a month.

I have 3.42 gears and stock 31.6 tires right now, but since I plan to get some 33" in a few months stock gears are not an option.

·
I like 'em white
2,749 Posts
410s are as far as I would go with 33s or if you can find a set of cheap 373s that would be an improvement too.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
4.10 is what i would do

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i think 4.10s would be perfect for 33s on your truck, ive had a few trucks with 4.10s from the factory on 32s and wont ever get one with 3.73s again.

·
Justin @ A/T Fab
325 Posts
I would do 4.10s as well. Let me know if you are interested in a price on Yukons, we are running a special this month!

·
Registered
94 Posts
My father has a 02 rcsb z71 with factory 4.10s. We had to drive to kentucky to get that truck cause not one dealership in town had that setup. We live in Memphis TN. That truck has so much damn power its rediculous. He runs the stock 31's with no problem. The truck has such a good overdrive that it still does fine on the highway, and it does even better when your at a redlight next to a GT mustang :evil: I would definatly get the 4.10's if your going with the 33's

·
pro grade member
2,264 Posts
i got 4:10's w/ 33's and its a dd and its fine but i also got the 6.0

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
"33's" is a somewhat relative statement. Some weigh quite a bit more than others, as well as the rim. Not sure if it's obvious here, but the heavier they are, the harder they are to get rollin'.

I've got some heavy 305/55/20's and a small ~5" lift, as well as oversize 14" rotors which also add to the rotating mass/unsprung weight, and just went with Motive Performance 4.30's over my factory GT4 3.73's. And I see quite a bit of expressway too, as well as some occasional towing, and the regular hauling of ass.
I almost went with 4.56's, and hope I don't regret changing that decision within the next few months here, as I get used to the 4.30's.

The 4.10's will get you around fine though (all depends on the driver preference/driving style though), with 33's it will probably feel fairly similar to a stocker truck with 31's and 3.73's I would guess, probably a fairly good comparison.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"33's" is a somewhat relative statement. Some weigh quite a bit more than others, as well as the rim. Not sure if it's obvious here, but the heavier they are, the harder they are to get rollin'.

I've got some heavy 305/55/20's and a small ~5" lift, as well as oversize 14" rotors which also add to the rotating mass/unsprung weight, and just went with Motive Performance 4.30's over my factory GT4 3.73's. And I see quite a bit of expressway too, as well as some occasional towing, and the regular hauling of ass.
I almost went with 4.56's, and hope I don't regret changing that decision within the next few months here, as I get used to the 4.30's.

The 4.10's will get you around fine though (all depends on the driver preference/driving style though), with 33's it will probably feel fairly similar to a stocker truck with 31's and 3.73's I would guess, probably a fairly good comparison.
Good point, in fact I want to regear for better performance too but I'm a bit concerned if 4.30 is going to kill mileage too bad. I'll keep the lighter stock wheels so that's another thing to consider.

Besides I still have to live with 31" tires for at least another 7-8 months, I'm installing a Truetrac at the same time but I don't know how bad traction is going to suck with 4.30

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
Good point, in fact I want to regear for better performance too but I'm a bit concerned if 4.30 is going to kill mileage too bad. I'll keep the lighter stock wheels so that's another thing to consider.

Besides I still have to live with 31" tires for at least another 7-8 months, I'm installing a Truetrac at the same time but I don't know how bad traction is going to suck with 4.30
If you regularly see stop and go traffic or towing, going to the lower ratio with a larger heavier tire will actually help your gas mileage.

I've got a True-trac too, and also a 3600 'verter...

I've no clue about your budget or time constraints, but might be best just to wait until you have all the pieces of the puzzle to put them together. Unless you want to rip some badass donuts, haha...

·
12 sec lifted truck club
3,536 Posts
I had 456s and 33s and I loved it, power was right there and it was like 2500 or so on the highway at 70 or 75.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts