GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no clue? I could use any help right now. Talked to GM today. The found a spring blew up in my tranny. Fucking hole through the side of it. Need new tranny. IN the next 24-48 hours there is an inspector comoing out from GM, chances are he's going to take 1 look at my truck and say fuck it. My service advisor is going to try and butter him up before, but nothing is guaranteed. I'm looking at 1500 to spend for a built tranny or i can get a stock, brand new with 1 year warranty, for 675. All that is needed is a torque converter for that.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep... 675 and 1 year warranty....

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Both the stock and the built trannys sound like a great price. but lets be honest, your truck is not stock. i dont know how you drive your truck but if your rear axle blew would you replace it with a stock 10 bolt? probably not, you'd upgrade. The way I look at it is this is a great opportunity to upgrade a weak part of our trucks. The trans links so far in this thread both sound like outstanding trannys. Its more money but they also offer a warrenty , I'd get the built one.

·
Engine Block
987 Posts
that link is to a Performabuilt transmission. great company and great transmissions.

check them out here: http://www.performabuilt.com/
I haven't been very happy with mine.

Anyway, the link you posted, not the right transmisstion. You need to look at the 4l60e or 4l65e. On xtreme 4x4 they use monster transmission's i've seen them on ebay before too. prices looked pretty good.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
What's wrong with your performabuilt trans?

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Make sure you can get it in 4wd before you order one. Otherwise you will have to pay someone to take the trans apart and swap the output shaft.

edit: I see Kevin says its a performabuilt so they do offer them in 4wd then.

·
Engine Block
987 Posts
What's wrong with your performabuilt trans?
The input drum busted in i think august. I bought the trans in march. I took two and a half weeks from the trans leaving me(which i had to pay shipping) to the day it was delivered back to me. I just haven't been very happy with it. Warranty is up now and i believe i am starting to have a small issue with maybe the lockup and low speeds and on the highway(unless the trans has been driven a decent distance prior to getting on the highway)

I could be the only one, doubt it, but this is only my personal experience. Customer service is good, although i wasn't happy with having to pay shipping cause one of there parts failed, but it is in the disclaimer. So again, my experience, i know others have had very good and are happy with there transmissions.

·
LAID OUT TIRE FRYER
1,992 Posts
i would get a quote from a local transmission shop and see how much for them to build you a stout trans. then when shit happens their local.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i would get a quote from a local transmission shop and see how much for them to build you a stout trans. then when shit happens their local.
Outrageous prices.... although thats a great suggestion, and I would rather do that in all honesty.... I get reemed in the ass

Both the stock and the built trannys sound like a great price. but lets be honest, your truck is not stock. i dont know how you drive your truck but if your rear axle blew would you replace it with a stock 10 bolt? probably not, you'd upgrade. The way I look at it is this is a great opportunity to upgrade a weak part of our trucks. The trans links so far in this thread both sound like outstanding trannys. Its more money but they also offer a warrenty , I'd get the built one.

Valid points. My biggest concern is getting the truck up and running right now....on a budget. Looking at finding another job to fund this...will be on #3 :nono: I REALLY am considering forking over the extra cash for a built one, in reason of course, which is why I could use all the help I can get. I know NOTHING on this shit. I dont even know the different companies to look into. So far we have:

*FLT
*Performabuilt
*Stock

Performabuilt sounds like it has its issues. I'm also not keen on the having to pay your own shipping cost to get it back for their warranty. Specially when they offer free shipping the first time around.

Keep the suggestions coming as I can use them. Thanks guys

·
Engine Block
987 Posts
like i mentioned, monster transmission: eatmyshift.com

When i build my motor flt will be getting my phone call.

I have called a few local guys, and ya, rediculous prices!

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looked into Monster. They're a little more expensive then the Performabuilt. Here's the one I'm looking at:

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/products_id/377

I figure something that is rated for 500 is something to look into. I wont be pushing any numbers like that, although it will be cool, but I'll be pushing around heavy fucking tires with a heavy fucking foot.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Fortunately, I was lucky enough to have a local guy who really knows his shit. He builds Chevy transmissions as side work so his prices are much better. The best part about it is that if something breaks I just have to pay for the new part and he'll put it in at no cost.

I know this doesn't help much, but for me being able to talk to someone in person and take my transmission to them knowing I could confront them in the event of a problem.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
The thing I can't stand about FLT is that they nickel and dime you to death. I'm aware they have sales at times, but you have to pay for shipping to and from your house, pay a core charge or return your old one, and they only have a 6 month warranty.

Yes, they probably make the best transmissions, but you can buy a lot of stuff with $3000+. Rebuilding a 4l60e is a 1-2 day job. I know in my case I gave my builder $1200 in parts and he had it completely rebuilt in 2 days and charged me $350 in labor.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Currently FLT has free shipping. What bothers me is:

"The condition of the core unit is very important. The core unit must be rebuildable. Make sure the unit is not missing any internal parts, bell-housing, tail-housing, fittings or bolts, and be sure the case isn't damaged or broken."

My case is fucked. Which means I then have to pay an additional $300 for core charge.

And then the warranty isn't very long either:

"Finish Line Transmissions' limited warranty covers all new products for six (6) months from the date of delivery, and repair service for ninety (90) days from the date of delivery. Finish Line Transmissions' sole obligation under this warranty shall be to repair or replace, at its option, the defective parts at no charge to the customer"

How do these trannys rate up though? Something to worry about once the warranty is gone?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts