GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been watching the "Solution Finish" Black restorer on Facebook Etc. a while. It seemed too good to be true. But Detailed Image had a good sale, so I figured Id give it a shot since my dads Avy always looks trashed. I gave it a try on my truck just for fun. My trucks always been cleaned well and dressed with SVRT or SCG Pro Trim dressing. The truck was washed. The plastics wiped with denatured alcohol, and Ill let the pictures speak for themselves. I just did the big items on this go round. but I assure you, everything black will see this now.

20141001_194417_zpsec2945b9.jpg

20141001_194450_zpsdd4032ba.jpg

20141001_195303_zps49252caf.jpg

20141001_195623_zpsb3573951.jpg

20141001_201224_zpsa8d1029a.jpg

20141001_201635_zps571bf06a.jpg

20141001_201630_zpsa12ebb76.jpg

20141001_203629_zps76d2af7a.jpg

20141001_203648_zpsae6beab1.jpg

20141001_204605_zps98b59450.jpg

20141001_213938_zps8e05bc11.jpg

20141001_204629_zps4616e912.jpg

20141002_074038_zpsf51f579a.jpg

20141002_074007_zps967aa15a.jpg

Last couple pics are after going down a gravel road, not even buffing it down. Its not a greasy or wet shine. The coating is acceptable to dress over the top of after being applied (after a wash etc if necessary). I am VERY impressed with this stuff. My valance was COVERED in bugs and road grime the other day and rinsed right back to the rich black. My plastics have never looked this good. I saw mention of releasing a sealant for the plastics as well soon. Just figured Id pass this along guys!

·
[b]Not Prostreet[/b]
2,541 Posts
Re: Thrashed, Daily Drug, Discolored, Ugly Black Plastic Love...Solution Finish Adven

Chris is a great guy. I have a few samples of it that I plan doing a side by side between it and Black wow pro.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Re: Thrashed, Daily Drug, Discolored, Ugly Black Plastic Love...Solution Finish Adven

Glad to see this right here.. I've got to clean up a Jeep this weekend with the plastic cladding and it's pretty badly faded. I know my dressings will do just that, dress it so I was considering getting a can of bumper paint to bring life back. Will probably try this if it looks like they could get it to me in time :hmm:

9,795 Posts

Austin...How has the stuff held up over the last week or two?

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts

SF is a solid product - wouldn't make sense for something already in good shape, but for hammered/faded plastics it definitely brings them back.

·
Yes, they are mine
205 Posts

How long does it last? I use the back to black on my avalanche and it holds up about 3 months. I drive it through one of those 3 minute car washes every week. Want something that would last a little longer

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

How long does it last? I use the back to black on my avalanche and it holds up about 3 months. I drive it through one of those 3 minute car washes every week. Want something that would last a little longer
Surprised it lasts that long lol he did an avy on his fb page a while back. Try it out. Then get some quality dressing to maintain it.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts

The touchless style washes uses some pretty harsh detergents, so not much in terms of trim protectants are going to stand up to that.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts

Ive never had much luck with it... 3 weeks seems about it

Ive tried just about every product out there claiming to be "long lasting" :down:

·
Registered
900 Posts

Link to where to buy. I don't have a fb

·
Registered
288 Posts

Are you able to handle it after applying? I got white bumpers, and would probally be easier just to pull the trim off and apply

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ive never had much luck with it... 3 weeks seems about it

Ive tried just about every product out there claiming to be "long lasting" :down:
Are you expecting it to stay full gloss, or just maintain an even look between dressing? Not even paint looks perfect without being maintained...

Link to where to buy. I don't have a fb
Google

Are you able to handle it after applying? I got white bumpers, and would probally be easier just to pull the trim off and apply
Google, will give all the info...

·
Registered
8,114 Posts

expecting it to keep a not faded look... i realize it won't be glossy forever but the stuff just seems to wash or burn off. Spoke with them about it and tried everything their directions to the T.
It looks great the day its applied and maybe the second day and from there you can see it wearing off.

Only thing I can figure is the heat/humidity here cuts the life dramatically. As well as every other product I've tried thats supposed to last 6-12 months. They never do.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts

I like SF for its restorative properties for sure... it will bring something back that so far gone traditional dressings won't even touch it. It doesn't really excuse you from the standard upkeep going forward though, so you still need to apply your preferred trim dressing/protection regularly to maintain the look.

I have seen some testing going on from Chris over at SF of trim coating designed to apply over the top of SF after its restored a part, but not sure what the expected longevity or durability will be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts