GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.) What are throttle body spacers claimed to do?
-----From what I've read on this site it doesn't really do much
-----on a nbs engine. If it does even alittle why wouldn't GM
-----throw a cheap mass produced aluminum tbs in factory?

2.) What are thermostats claimed to do?
-----Just lower your engine running temp from 195* to 180* or
-----160*? If this is better why wouldn't GM do it factory?

Thanks. :bowtie:

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
Headers give better performance and gas mileage. So does a tune. So why don't they put them on at GM???

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
cuz there lazy :anitoof:

·
Registered
520 Posts
If GM did all that, and then some...we would have a very expensive truck that's all ready expensive. Otherwise, I agree with Slash...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1badazzchevy, I understand some things, but why not a different thermostat?

Ok, if you ignore the factory why part of the question...........what are those things claiming to do? and or how do they work?

·
My name's not Kevin
308 Posts
If GM did all that, and then some...we would have a very expensive truck that's all ready expensive. Otherwise, I agree with Slash...
Adding extras would and should cost extra. But they must program the computer anyway, so why not with a better tune? I paid $200.00 for my headers. Try to get stock exhaust manifolds for that.

·
RIP Jason
4,089 Posts
Someone going to answer his question? I want to know about the thermostat too.
About the throttle body...they are pointless on NBS trucks. Only reason to get one is if you want the sound which is sweet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the reason that GM doesn't put the normal bolt ons that we do is that
A. a hotter running engine doesn't produce the same amount of emissions that a colder engine does.
B. T-body spacers make noise....a loud whistling noise that can get annoying to most people.
C. Headers tend to make a little more noise under the hood that non-hotrodders don't like.
D. About the tunning....GM spends millions on getting the vehicle to run on anything that you put in the gas tank except for cat piss. That means that no matter what you throw at the vehicle, it will run with reasonable drivablility. Most vehicles except for sports cars or factory sport trucks have to appeal to a wide variety of customers, so its really about making money and selling as many vehicles as possible. :bowtie:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Okay. I agree with "slow 4.8". Yes, kinda short in the answer above, but it's all about the industry. Your aftermarket guys are trying all sorts of things to try and make a better performance vehicle than stock. They're trying to make money, and the performance hungry will pay to deal with other problems that may be encoutered. I had a low temp thermostat that was recommended for use with my HPP3. Seemed like the thermostat was on continuously in the hot Arizona weather. Would the factory want it that way. Probably not. As with the t-body spacers, yes...they add noise. Majority of the population probably wouldn't want to listen to some whine or louder intake noise. A buddy of mine had one, and took it off. He said that it helped at higher speeds, but was a dog a lower speeds. GM wouldn't want anything like that in the industry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
" That means that no matter what you throw at the vehicle, it will run with reasonable drivablility."

And it has to do that while possibly towing 6000 pounds on a trailer with the AC on. I haven't looked at the tuning yet in the truck but I assume GM built in a large safety margin for these sorts of things.

When you know you won't be towing huge loads in high temperatures running on 86 octane fuel you can more optimize the tuning for the specific needs of the driver.

Shawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
When people buy new vehicles they typically like it quiet, just some of us "hotrodders" like to here the muscle. Not everyone likes there vehicles high maintenance, so from the factory they keep it simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts