GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ticking noise coming from somewhere under my truck. It sounds like its coming from the rear but I'm not sure since i can only hear it when i'm moving. It sounds like the ticking you get when you have a rock stuck in your tire but it's been doing it for a couple of days now. It goes quicker as you go faster. What could it be? g80? transfer case? tranny?

It's not super noticeable but i can hear it when i have my window down and there isnt any other traffic around.

·
In memoriam...
3,860 Posts
could be a nail or a screw in your tire also. check closely because sometime they are hard to see.
my thoughts as well.

I had a black drywall screw in my tire once. The head had worn down to the point that it was damn near invisible, and the tire still held air pretty well. But it "ticked" with every revolution of the tire.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Something stuck in tire tread or maybe something caught on your driveshaft/yoke. How loud is it?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my yukon does this but it sounds like its coming from the front brakes or something. its driving me fucking nuts, cant find anything.
Check your cv axles if you have them. That could cause it in the front.

Something stuck in tire tread or maybe something caught on your driveshaft/yoke. How loud is it?
Its not very loud but if i listen for it then i can hear it. I'm going to go out and check the tires.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it might be a rock lol.. I remember going down a gravel road a few days ago so that might be it. I tried to pick out all the big ones so hopefully it goes away. I was just scared cz i bottomed out pretty hard doing about 50mph a few days ago and thought i might have fucked up my tranny or transfer case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a ticking noise coming from somewhere under my truck. It sounds like its coming from the rear but I'm not sure since i can only hear it when i'm moving. It sounds like the ticking you get when you have a rock stuck in your tire but it's been doing it for a couple of days now. It goes quicker as you go faster. What could it be? g80? transfer case? tranny?

It's not super noticeable but i can hear it when i have my window down and there isnt any other traffic around.

Not to bring an old thread back to life but, did it ever go away and did it sound like the video in this thread.......

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?t=465019

1 - 12 of 12 Posts