GMC Truck Forum banner

tie rod problems please help *pics*

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  MaXXis85 
#1 ·
hey all, i have got some problems with my tie rods and i'm hoping you guys can help me out. i've had some steering and alignment problems so i took my truck to a local garage and they said i need new rotors and pads. then i took it somewhere else and they said i didn't need new rotors, they could just be turned. the red flag that this placed raised was with my tie rods and idler arm. they said that the angles are putting a bunch of stress on the joints and that i'm on "borrowed time." they said that my tie rods could bust anytime causing a loss in my steering. what i was wondering from you guys is, based on these pics, do you agree with them or is there something else i could do? i also asked them what was causing the bad angles, the trucks geometry or the lift itself. they said that "these trucks aren't made well". do you guys think that a different lift would've eliminated those angles? i was on fullthrottlesuspension.com and i saw that there kits have front suspension drop brackets. what are these and would they help my angles? any input would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
2wd non drop lifts are always scary imo. so much angle on steering and lower BJs. Flatter angles are better...but if you check it religiously, you SHOULD be ok. get some lifetime TREs and like a 5 year alignment deal...

#4 ·
Could you flip the tie-rod ends at the spindle? :shrug: Moving them from below to above the mount on the spindle. Better angle anyway.

#7 ·
Those are tapered drilld from the bottom. unless they use an insert which can be reversed. but other than that they have to go from the bottom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.