GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just wanted to clarify what I need if I was going to tilt my bed, not make it dump backwards but make the driver side tilt up since I am going to shave the gas tank door. I have read about piano hinges and I guess just a linear actuator. What kind of actuator will I need and does anyone know some good sites that sell em?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
uhh, or just relocate the filler to the inside of the bed and save yourself a hell of a headache. Also seen it relocated to the inside of the rear fender.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, im gonna do it. I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about this. I dont want to cut into the bed yet. Ill post pics up when I do it but I just was wondering about this so I can start planning it out. I probably wont get around to doing it for about 2 months. Need to focus on shaving my truck clean this summer and getting my caddy tails in.

I dont think it will be too much of a headache. The only thing I am worried about is my toolbox in the back(when i get it) Its gonna be low profile so nothing sticks up outta the bed and I am going to get it line-x'd to make it not stand out so much. anyone know where i can buy a good one online? And anyone have any experience with linear actuators?

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
JakobMetzger said:
Hey, I just wanted to clarify what I need if I was going to tilt my bed, not make it dump backwards but make the driver side tilt up since I am going to shave the gas tank door. I have read about piano hinges and I guess just a linear actuator. What kind of actuator will I need and does anyone know some good sites that sell em?
We did many a tilt bed and dump bed, but on minis, back in the day .. the tilt was the easiest ... we just used some big ass hinges on one side where the ebd bolted to the frame. As for lift, they were light enough you coudl lift it by hand and we used a prop rod. When you were just riding, had it so you could put a latch pin in on the drivers side to secure it.

The dump beds we did used air shocks to raise them, worked pretty good and going down the road they road like they were on air :LOL: ... this was all the cheap $$$ way, cause we didn't have money for hydralics etc and linear actuators and airbags werent around yet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I plan on doing it for looks and the gas door, just something to do. Ya know, why not? Ya so I guess just some piano hinges and a actuator. Shouldn't be too too hard. Well I am defiantly getting a toolbox in the back, im still in high school, so its a place to keep my football stuff and just other things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts