GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this has been happening more and more frequently. I get in my truck and it either wont start at all or sometimes it starts a little but then dies or stays around 200 rpm and 12v. I have an aftermarket battery bolt so I can attach my power cable to it, and sometimes it comes loose (I have no idea why it comes loose) but that will cause everything to turn off when I try and start it, obviously because there is no power connection. I'm at the point to where when I am having this voltage/rpm problem I have to have my foot on the brake and gas a little bit so I keep my rpms up and from the engine dying at stop lights. Is it possible I need a new alternator, and that's why my volts have a hard time staying up? The battery is only like a year old, so it's not that, unless it's the connection causing all this. I know this probably sounds kinda vague but I'm hoping someone would be able to help me out.

Thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i put my money on the connection. I had the same exact problem with my silvy but mine was due to a loose bolt on the pos. side, it wasn't even completely off but my truck actually shut off when i went to take off. If you put an aftermarket bolt on it it is VERY easy to over tighten into the battery. I doubt u need a new alternator

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
if it cant stay running off alt power and its not charging, the alt is bad
a multimeter would help big time with this

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
make sure to do a load test. Sometimes an alt will put out the voltage, but not the amps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts