GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my truck has been running like crap when it idles but not while driving. it ran fine before i did my tranny/pacesetters/egr delete/cat delete/rear 02 delete. i got my retune from nelson performance and in the past 2 months i have had 6 pcms...1 was my original re-tune, and 6 that they paid shipping for because of their mistakes. my truck STILL DOES NOT run correctly. my speedo is off 5mph and i talked to allen and he said "i cant figure it out, you will just have to live with it"<---what?!? and at idle it "skips"...brought it to a local mechanic thats really good because nobody i knew could figure it out. the guy plugs in his scanner with me there, no misfires or anything abnormal until he gets to the timing...he said retarded timing=set back, and advanced=set ahead. and he told me my timing is too retarded to the point that my motor thinks its going to stall so it skips then idles high for a sec then tries to go back to the set timing which is too low so it skips again, etc. he showed me my timing goes as low as 18-19 then skips and jumps to 28-31. so basically he was trying to say my timing is set a little below 20 which is too low and said it should be mid 20s...if anybody has any info please chime in on your thouhts...

oh yea, also i have new coil packs, ACdelco plugs, and plug wires...

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
What is your timing at WOT? Most tunes are set between 22-28. I would send Justin (Black Bear Performance) a pm and see if he can help you out. Forget Nelson, he cant get as personal as Justin can, Justin get's a lot more vehicle and setup specific.

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
yeah robbie, you might have to lose the nelson tune and go with someone else :imo

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
All I can think of is that your idle spark advance might not be the same as your high/low octane table.

·
Giggity Giggity Giggity
3,169 Posts
All I can think of is that your idle spark advance might not be the same as your high/low octane table.
That's a good start. Most copy the octane tables if the customer isn't getting a dual octane tune but that is not the way to do it. The change in the advance could be the PCM switching from table to table to even out. See if you can get somebody to log it and send the log to Allen. Having to live with it is not an option :imo

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good start. Most copy the octane tables if the customer isn't getting a dual octane tune but that is not the way to do it. The change in the advance could be the PCM switching from table to table to even out. See if you can get somebody to log it and send the log to Allen. Having to live with it is not an option :imo
no, allen said i just have to live with the speedo problem?!? at this point been driving my truck not running correctly for 2 months i am becomming extremely agrivated with nelson performance. i have had 6 fuckin tunes and not one has been right...bottom line at this point, nelson peformance sucks! and oh yea i will be getting a data logging blackbear:D

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
sounds like with as much stuff as you have done with the tranny and all that crap, it would be better and less expensive in the long run if you got your own tuning software so you know it's right. Just a suggestion!

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
I Agree with andrew, forget the mail ordering and get some sort of software. If you buy HPT from Allen( he is a dealer for them now), you can send him some logs and he can tune it until you get comfortable tuning your own ride.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
yah if you get some help from someone just in the beginning and research enough you'll understand a pretty good amount. I had help from Mr. Boomer (BOOMER) and if you just have someone to explain the basics rather than reading it on pt.net or something in some starter thread. Now there are good threads on starting over there, that's where i got all my info, but if you have someone explain the theory behind things it helps. I'm sure if you ask someone they would gladly help you out, including myself.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If you buy HPT from Allen( he is a dealer for them now), you can send him some logs and he can tune it until you get comfortable tuning your own ride.
That would be great if he was dependable. This means responding to emails and phone calls over a month later is not an option. :imo He's had ALOT of unhappy customers in the last few months. :(

I'd recommend EFILive. The forums are excellent and the guy who teaches their classes is a member here. It doesn't get much better than that. :read:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but how hard is it to tune a truck i have never done it? i know its just knowing what to adjust but would having EFIlive be better than a nelson tune? how much is the software?

oh yea john, i have heard this about nelson lately too...whats the deal over there? he never returns phone calls even when i leave a voicemail?!? and when i do get ahold of him he is very rude and unprofessional, not willing to help me with anything and always saying "im busy at the moment let me deal with this later and i will call you back" and he NEVER does i will call him back like 2 days later and he gets all bitchy telling me im not being patient and that im not at the front of the line:flame:. i paid $4?? for this tune and my truck runs like shit and he takes days sometimes weeks to get to it. im even more pissed hes nolonger willing to fix my speedometer he said "you will just have to deal with it, because i cant figure it out". so now im stuck with a speedo 5mph off:nono:.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Well it's up to you wether you want to get your own tuning software or not. It takes time and research and practice to get a hang of tuning yourself. I would recommend HPT since that's what i have and everyone i know uses it. Now EFI Live i have heard great things too, the two different softwares are great in their own things, it's just a matter of what you want. Go to their sites and see what is best for you. I know HPT has a great forum to help with starting out, also performancetrucks.net if you are not already over there, they have good starter threads in the tuning section, I'm sure EFI has a good forum too. I don't know if you are gonna be doing any other swaps and stuff, but i know that i got HPT when i got fed up with a programmer and learned the basics, then when it came time for a transmission swap, it seriously paid for itself with the time and hassle and all the knowledge i learned instead of going with a mailorder tune and telling the guy this is what i have and tune it for it. If you are done with your truck, then i would say stick with mail order, but this shit is addicting and if are gonna do a motor swap, or FI or something later on down the road, get your own software.

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Oh and BTW HPT is about $500 and you get the software and the cable and 8GM credits so you are ready to tune. Now, at $50 a credit, you are give $400 worth of credits, so the software and cable actually only costs you $100 if you wanna look at it that way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh and BTW HPT is about $500 and you get the software and the cable and 8GM credits so you are ready to tune. Now, at $50 a credit, you are give $400 worth of credits, so the software and cable actually only costs you $100 if you wanna look at it that way.
What does the credits do for you?

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
That's what HPT uses is a credit system. It comes with 8 GM credits, if you spend 2 credits on your truck, it means that you can tune that vehcle/pcm only forever. If you spend 6 credits, it's a year/make/modle LICENSE and allows you to tune or access any of that single year forever. So like mine for instance. When i got my HPT i immediately spent the 6 credits on my truck, now if anyone has a 2004 Sierra/Silverado gas motor i can access it and tune it or whatever. It's kinda like if you wanna make a business out or it or just to have enough credits to just do your buddies truck or something. If you go on HPT's site it will explain the credit system, just gander over there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you need a laptop right?

ok, FINALLY talked to allen...he said that my motor skipping he is positive that its nothing to do with the timing?!? what now i have all new coil packs, plugs, wires, and fuel filter soo far...he said he belives my mass air flow sensor needs to be cleaned, and 02 sensors checked. could this be it?

·
TUNED BY ME!
647 Posts
Yes you need a laptop, i can get a used one or something, but i went to dell and bought the 1501, it's brand new and only costs $600, it's a 15" screen, nothing too special on the OS but i just use it for internet and tuning and that's it, the only big program i have is HPT. It has an AMD Sempron Processor with Windows XP, that's all you need.

As far as your truck goes, something is definitely wrong, it's just diagnosing it and fixing the problem. If you had HPT you could scan different things and see if they are working.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i have a laptop already...but which is better HPT or EFIlive? i havent really heard much about HPT but i do plan on getting very in depth with performance and want my truck to run correctly.

by the way i figured out my problem with it running like shit...cleaned my MAF sensor and it runs great!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
ok, i have a laptop already...but which is better HPT or EFIlive? i havent really heard much about HPT but i do plan on getting very in depth with performance and want my truck to run correctly.

by the way i figured out my problem with it running like shit...cleaned my MAF sensor and it runs great!
That's mostly subjective. The people who use EFILive are going to swear that it's better, and the HPT users are going to say the same. I'd suggest downloading THIS
so you can try it out and see what you think. One major benefit is that EFILive allows you to read any pcm. The only time you use a license is to flash a pcm with a tune. Once you flash a pcm, you can reflash that particular pcm for eternity, at no extra cost. Justin can get you setup with additional licenses. I'm not sure if he's an official reseller of the software or not, but I'd check. If you have any questions about it, just ask. There are a few users on here. :head:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts