GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the timing supposed to be set on my 98 5.7??? I've read where its supposed to be 0*, but that makes the valves rattle like hell. It was set at -27*.

I need help quick!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
haha, man are you ever gonna get this truck figured out? I checked my timing last week with a snap on red brick and at idle i had like 20 degrees of total advance. That sounded like alot so i'm not sure i was looking at the right value.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yeah, start low BTDC. 4-8° is a good start. 10°BTDC is factory spec for a small Ford. :D

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We checked it out and it was set at -27* while running. I"m not a timing expert, and dang sure don't know crap about the newer vehicles. We removed the distributor, moved 1 tooth advanced and got it to 0*. It didn't run worth shit and the valves rattled like all hell so we retarded it back to about -18* or so.

The code I'm getting now says its "crank/cam correlation" I dunno the exact code number.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, man are you ever gonna get this truck figured out? I checked my timing last week with a snap on red brick and at idle i had like 20 degrees of total advance. That sounded like alot so i'm not sure i was looking at the right value.
I don't think I am. It runs good now after we tinkered with it yesterday a little. I just want it to be like it's supposed to. I don't trust the guy that supposedly fixed it. He's a dumbass.

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
a quick question. where is your timing pointer at? there is 2 different timing covers for the sbc and you have to have the right harmonic balancer for whichever front cover you have. If you dont, your timing will be really far off. at 0* your valves should be quiet, and your motor should have a nice slow idle to it. I would set the timing so the valves dont rattle, where it sounds normal, and take it for a short drive(in a parking lot or something, not down the road) and see how it likes it. It shouldnt be down on power or anything. just slowly find out where it needs to be, but im going to stick with my 4-8* answer. Any less youll be down on power, anymore the computer wont like it.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I should set it at + 4-8*?
Every person I've asked claims that you can't set the timing on these trucks with a light so I've never looked for the pointer. I can definately check though. All we were using yesterday is the computer to see what the timing specs were.

edit: and what does the cam/crank correlation code mean? OBD 1345

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this... is this a correct way to check it?

http://www.truckforums.com/m_2267/tm.htm said:
set your crank to tdc should be a indention on the balancer and a mark on the front of the timing cover and then pull the dist. cap and see if if the rotor button is pointing at a little triangular mark. if its not then unbolt the distributor and relocate to the mark, keep in mind the distributor can be a whole tooth off and still run fine, but you will need to take it to a local shop to be dead on the money it only has a tolerence of 2 to -2 degrees of timing. keep in mind the timing is completly computer controlled, there is no adjustment on 96 and newer engines.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Alright here we go. Hopefully some of the following info will help you. Maybe dan can shed some more light on the tdc harmonic balancer mark and lining everything up. I am not that knowledgable about doing it that way.

P1345.jpg

DistributorProcedure.jpg

DistributorProcedure2.jpg

DistributorProcedure3.jpg

DistrubutorAlignmentMarksforInstall.jpg

IdentifyingPositionMarkings.jpg

LocatingCastingMark8OnDistributor.jpg

LocatingRotorInRelactiontoDirstribu.jpg

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dude that was sweet!! Thanks!! I'm going to try aligning the balancer and timing cover marks , removing the distributor and then re-intalling it like its supposed to be.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish it was as easy to work on these things as it is my old Ford.

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We tried what that sheet said, and replaced the rotor button and the SES is GONE!!!! Dunno which one did it, or why the timing still sayd -20*, but it runs good and everything seems good.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Fucking excessive computer control! :imo

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
theres a reason im going bassackwards in technology eric...got a 00 silverado and im lookin at a 70-73 camaro, lol...carb's FTW!

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Bah, I have O N E carb vehicle... that fuk is like voodoo to me. :rofl2:

·
My Dixie Wrecked
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 1 carb vehicle. ABout o accuire another one I hope.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts