GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any pros or cons to advancing you timing. i was just wondering.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
is there any pros or cons to advancing you timing. i was just wondering.
well of course there is. Assuming your tune is sufficient you can add quite a bit of timing over stock. You can add timing until you begin to see knock retard. That is the big warning sign to stop adding it. Too much knock and you can fuck up an engine.

You can pull an easy 20 rwhp just from adjusting your timing and ve table

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allright thats pretty much what i thought. i was just wondering if i could advance mine like 5 degrees and be safe because i want it to be abit more responsive.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
5* is quite a bit. I'd start with 2-3 and see how that does. I just realized you have a 94. With the 99-up trucks the ability to log data with EFI Live or HpTuners makes adding timing much safer.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the heads up on nitrous cuz i plan to run it in the future and yea i got a tbi so then ill try 2 or 3 and see how it runs and if i like it. will i use a tad more gas or anything like that?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
thanks for the heads up on nitrous cuz i plan to run it in the future and yea i got a tbi so then ill try 2 or 3 and see how it runs and if i like it. will i use a tad more gas or anything like that?
I'm not sure about the genII engines, but with my 5.3L I got better gas mileage. I gained almost 3 mpg on the highway.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
I went from 10° to 15° BTDC on my F150, picked up about 14rwhp on the dyno. 180° t-stat is smart and the 93 fuel is needed for that much timing at the base.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts