GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to know on how to set the timing on my passport it has those ignition modules that some of you guys may have seen on some of the GM cars like some pontiacs and luminas the passport has a few things from gm so im guessing its the same it also has the 4l30e transmission, no idea if thats good.
so if yo have any idea how to set the timing please let me know thanks.

HPIM1377.gif

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
being a distributerless system, isn't it PCM controlled?

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
being a distributerless system, isn't it PCM controlled?
forgive me if im wrong but PCM is computer controlled right?? if it is cool, umm but i believe it is, and i dont know if this helps but its an obdI so yea thats weird for a 94, my truck didnt even have that.

·
5,501 Posts
forgive me if im wrong but PCM is computer controlled right?? if it is cool, umm but i believe it is, and i dont know if this helps but its an obdI so yea thats weird for a 94, my truck didnt even have that.
PCM = powertrain control module...yes, the engine/trans computer.

my trucks a 91 and its obdI...about to be OBDII in a few weeks...

and yeah, it should be PCM controlled...are you having issues with the motor or just looking to learn a little?

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCM = powertrain control module...yes, the engine/trans computer.

my trucks a 91 and its obdI...about to be OBDII in a few weeks...

and yeah, it should be PCM controlled...are you having issues with the motor or just looking to learn a little?
well im not having issues with the motor at all, i am looking to learn a bit more, and heres the reason my water pump is going out, and its timing belt driven so i said what the hell ill replace it being that im going to washington so im doing some small repairs on it. so being it PCM controlled i wouldnt have to set the timing at all just align all the pulleys and put the belt on and the computer does it itself?.

·
5,501 Posts
well im not having issues with the motor at all, i am looking to learn a bit more, and heres the reason my water pump is going out, and its timing belt driven so i said what the hell ill replace it being that im going to washington so im doing some small repairs on it. so being it PCM controlled i wouldnt have to set the timing at all just align all the pulleys and put the belt on and the computer does it itself?.
just make sure to keep the cam(s) and crank indexed the same with each other...

and its not surprising to see the waterpump go bad on one of those. they don't seem to last that long...for as few as there are on the road, we sell a bunch of them.

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just make sure to keep the cam(s) and crank indexed the same with each other...

and its not surprising to see the waterpump go bad on one of those. they don't seem to last that long...for as few as there are on the road, we sell a bunch of them.
yup, well thanks man appreciate it, now to finally get to repairing it. you dont happen to know anything about the 4l30e tranny do you? its not acting up or anything just trying to figure out if they have any problems in the long run.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yea i'm pretty sure the rubber timing belt has teeth so if you take good notes how it came off you should be able to get it back exactly like it was. They don't really have any adjustment in the relation of cam to crank position other than just jumping a whole tooth on the belt. My parents have an 01' passport that i will be servicing soon to replace the water pump, timing belt, thermo, and cleaning the egr tube. You have to take damn near the whole top of the engine off just to get to the thermostat and water pump. Good luck making this car your learning experience.:insane:

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i'm pretty sure the rubber timing belt has teeth so if you take good notes how it came off you should be able to get it back exactly like it was. They don't really have any adjustment in the relation of cam to crank position other than just jumping a whole tooth on the belt. My parents have an 01' passport that i will be servicing soon to replace the water pump, timing belt, thermo, and cleaning the egr tube. You have to take damn near the whole top of the engine off just to get to the thermostat and water pump. Good luck making this car your learning experience.:insane:
yea these things are really a pain in the ass to work on but these engines last long time from what ive heard. i thought the 01's were the 3.1 l and they had a timing chain maybe not.

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, as a matter of fact she does.

You are out of luck though, she hates RICERS!!!!!!:rofl2:
and yet she drives a rodeo??? well gm owns isuzu though right? nvm 2 different things even though the company is japanese, wasnt thinking

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
405 Posts
Krisverde, I have a question for you. Have you had any problems with wheel studs snapping off on your passport? If so have you fixed them and how?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you're still thinking you may have a timing issue, those modules can be tested, in the car.
I forget the proceedure, but you can test them with a multimeter. They go bad, just like everything else... sooner or later.

·
orale vato! arriba!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Krisverde, I have a question for you. Have you had any problems with wheel studs snapping off on your passport? If so have you fixed them and how?
no i havent. but as far as i know pull the wheel hub off and what not.

If you're still thinking you may have a timing issue, those modules can be tested, in the car.
I forget the proceedure, but you can test them with a multimeter. They go bad, just like everything else... sooner or later.
im not having a timing problem its just i dont know the shape the belts in, and since im replacing my water pump and its timing belt driven i said what the hell. why not. also that water pump is small.
HPIM1407.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts