GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you have ever used it you know that the brass bushings go out and get galled up from the stress on the notcher shaft pushing hard in a few places. my fix to that was return the crap notcher after i pulled the bushings out of my shot out one and another messed up one i had laying around, the rest of what i did is in the group of mods i have listed below. heres a few tips that have kept this notcher going strong

-tack weld the hole saw onto the shaft(since i had a few spare ones laying around, i also have a 2 inch welded in one)
-replace all the bolts with grade 8 bolts
-shave down the shaft retainer with a flapperwheel to center the hole saw
-pack the shaft retainer with extra bushing to spread the load and drill out the retainer pin hole(driving the brass bushings in will deform them alill causing the tollerance to be tighter, we will see how long it lasts though)

i figured if any of you dont feel like buying a JD or protools notcher, like me at the moment you could benefit from this.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
Can the assembly be modifed to take roller bearings instead of bushings?

Bushings are always going to wear, but in something like this with that shaft speed you would think even in an attempt to save money they would run some cheap bearings and mark it up a couple bucks.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually my buddy is gonna have his father in law who is a machinest start machining shaft retainers that accept quality bearings. they are gonna be bolt in for the HF notchers and use the HF shafts and everything. the HF bushings are about 1/16 if that.

another thing i heard to do is remove the bushings and have a shock shaft 7/8 (i believe) threaded on one end and machined on the other for the drill it will fit perfect in the factory retainer.

my mods with the bushings is just to spread the force around instead of on 2 little spots, not quite a cure all but i promise it will stop most of the wobbling that these are notorious for.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
It will stop the wobbling for a while, but the bushings are going to wear and then you'll have radial run out all over again.

I'd think if you just machine a solid block of 6061 with a pilot bore for the shaft and a pair of counter bores on each end, press some bearings in you would be golden.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea but if it lasts me longer than my last one ill be happy. and thats pretty much what i plan to do but that will be later on if i dont upgrade to a better one by then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts