GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my shackles, and we're installing them tomorrow morning.
It's an obs stepside.
Any tips on installing, or is it pretty simple?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Get a Big Fucking Hammer and take out some aggression on the bolt. I had a hell of a time on the passenger side. Drivers one wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like its going to be a lot harder to do.
It seems the top bolt is put on to where the head has to be cut off or a hole has to be drilled into the frame.
Anyone else have this problem?

·
Tuckin' Tire Static
3,914 Posts
Yes. Just raise the truck until your about the frame/bed support and then take the bolt out.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Colyn, can you go into detail about your advice?
I'm still a bit confused.

·
GMFS Senior Member
3,237 Posts
Support the frame on jackstands.
With the rear axle at full droop, jack it up and inch or so with a floor jack to relieve stress on the shackle.
Remove the bottom bolt. (go ahead and loosen the top one)
Jackup the axle until the top bolt on the shackle is even with the space between the frame and bed. Reach up and pull the bolt out.
Reinstall in reverse order.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
so can u remove shackle with un ubolting the axle? hmm i thought i had to un ubolt the axle from the leafs then lift up leafs a bit and unbolt shackle..

·
Sweet Tea Pants
430 Posts
I had to loosen my U-bolts at the axle on my NBS, combined with jacks and stands, for what it's worth. Don't know if that makes a darn concerning an OBS though.

·
not low enough
8,703 Posts
i dont know..lol.
which either way i will be removing stock block while im back there!

·
Sweet Tea Pants
430 Posts
I couldn't get the head of the bolt past the frame, it would get wedged between the frame and the bed if I tried to go over the frame, and it wouldn't get low enough while bolted up to get beneath the frame and around the rear hanger. My whole truck was on jacks and I was working alone. It's just what I had to do to clear the frame and rear hanger.

Maybe I missed something at the time? The end result worked out though.

·
Registered
740 Posts
i dont know..lol.
which either way i will be removing stock block while im back there!
I recommend making 2 cuts above the shackle so that when you lift your axle the shackle bends that lip enough to pass the top bolt over the frame. Makes it way easier IMO.

·
Needs more lOW and GO
75 Posts
I recommend making 2 cuts above the shackle so that when you lift your axle the shackle bends that lip enough to pass the top bolt over the frame. Makes it way easier IMO.
i unbolted the bed and lifted it up a lil when we did mine .

·
Speed Holes
5,190 Posts
huh, when I put shackles on my Sierra I don't remember messing with the u-bolts at all...?? :think:

·
GM bit-size owner
1,654 Posts
My bolts were siezed pretty bad when I did mine. I ended up having to cut the bottom bolt (leaving siezed bolt section in the bottom of the stock shackles) and removing the whole leaf pack on both sides. Then using a big fucking hammer and a drift I pounded the top bolt out. The only reason I took the whole leafe pack out is so I could swing the hammer accurately enough without taking the bed off. I didn't have a engine hoist or a few friends to help me remove it. A little tip if you have to do this. on the drivers side front leaf spring bolt. Cut the bolt sticking out the outside of the hanger leaving about 1/8"-1/4" of thread showing outside of the nut, this way you can get the bolt out without messing with the tank, and you can re install it later much easier.

When you put the new shackles in make sure you put the trucks weight on the rear end befor you tighten any of the schackle bolt, it'll sit crocked if you don't. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts