GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask everyone some tips, tricks or hints you use in the garage. This can be anything from how to store parts to how to do common tasks easy. You can even list some of yoru "must have" tools. Ill list a few I use

Must have little extras:
-magnetic dish - holds bolts, wrenches, whatever and whereever you want it. About $10
-hanging light - the florecent ones you buy on a retractable reel - $30-$50 and well worth it
-welding gloves - great for more than welding, such as grinding, drilling, pretty much anything. They are longer so keep crap out of your sleeves, plus are insulated and super tough. $10

Tips:

-when drilling a hole in the frame of a vehicle, use a 2 handled drill and wrap a chain around the 2nd handle and the frame so its taught. Twist the drill and it will pull it into the frame, making it very simple and fast to drill the hole. MUCH easier than just pushing on the damn drill.

Ill add more later

·
Registered
232 Posts
1. wd-40 is your best friend, it can be used for EVERYTHING

2. before you start working on a project get alot of beer, you can pay your friends with it to help you with the bitch work. :shake:

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tx marine said:
1. wd-40 is your best friend, it can be used for EVERYTHING

2. before you start working on a project get alot of beer, you can pay your friends with it to help you with the bitch work. :shake:
find yourself a can of PB Blaster and you will never use wd-40 again :read:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
-Simple green is great for cleaning up stuff, just about anything greasy, just read the label first so you don't use it on something that you shouldn't.

-peanut butter jars rule, for anything from bleeding brakes to storing parts

-rubbermaid plastic bins are also useful for storing tools. we have one just for our drills and drill bits

-fans are good

-always have plenty of light, makes many things so much easier

-cat litter is great for cleaning up spills, pour it on, give it time and sweep it up

i'll probably come up with more later...i'll edit them in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
find yourself a can of PB Blaster and you will never use wd-40 again :read:

never even HEARD of that shit. what is it?

for storage of screws, bolts, nuts, etc. my dad took several different clear glass jars(ie. pickle with lebel removed) and screwed the lids onto the underside of a shelf, then put what ever he needed to store in the jar and screwed it into the lid. that held it up out of the way and easily seen and divided by general size and type.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
Its a penetrating oil type product that works waaaaay better than wd-40
Werd!! It's a lot better! :imo We sell a lot of it!

·
Rollin with Saget
1,595 Posts
jack stands as well, they are also a good investment

plenty of hand cleaner.

ass loads of rags

um, if your working underneath the truck, its always good to have something to lay on, like an old cardboard box or a towl, or something like that. helps alot if you dont have a kreeper.

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,252 Posts
Matt said:
put small tools back where they went when you're done with them. sounds stupid, but when you're tired late at night it seems like a pita.
:word: its really annoying to scramble around to find all your tools just because you didnt take the time to put them back once your done.

also:

- if you have unbolted all the lugs to a wheel and the rim is still sorta "stuck" to the hub, put one lug back on, get a rubber mallet, and whack it off from behind.

- always make sure you support the car with jackstands, and make sure that the stands are set up properly.

- dont carry wheels around, let them roll. (theyre round, thats what they do)

- lift with your legs, not your back.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Slash4824- if you have unbolted all the lugs to a wheel and the rim is still sorta "stuck" to the hub said:
or you could just kick it.. :imo

I use this stuff thats better than WD-40 as well. Its not PB blaster iv never heard of that... its called LP something in a little green bottle works very well.

I find that keeping the floor swept is good... you can slide creepers around easier, and you dont have to dig through dirt clods or floordry to find tools.

Changing oil, filling rearends, draining radiator, ect. ect. something you KNOW is going to be messy, do it outside o nthe gravel.. well most of you probably dont have gravel so nevermind.

Make sure you have oil in your jack...thats happened to me before. :insane:

battery powered tools are awesome. :shake:
Yes, music is also a major plus..

I'm sporting a record player/8track player from the late 70's, AM/FM radio that gets louder or quieter depending on what part of the shop you stand in :anitoof:

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
Rednecked_4x4 said:
Changing oil, filling rearends, draining radiator, ect. ect. something you KNOW is going to be messy, do it outside o nthe gravel.. well most of you probably dont have gravel so nevermind.
i do that now since the truck doesnt fit in the garage anymore, what i used to do is put newspaper down under the oil pan to catch all the drips

Rednecked_4x4 said:
I'm sporting a record player/8track player from the late 70's, AM/FM radio that gets louder or quieter depending on what part of the shop you stand in :anitoof:

:werd: my radio has a 8track player too :rocking:
mine fades in and out on its own, has nothing to do with were you stand, it just has a mind of it own

·
Registered
309 Posts
~If you grind or drill metal, use a shop vac to pick up the chips. Or buy a set of tweezers with the built in magnifying glass to pull the slivers out of your dumbass.

~Find a set of safety glasses that you are comforable wearing and buy 5 or 6 pair so there's no excuse.

~Get to know the doctors at your local emergency room, in case you forget to wear safety glasses.

~If you don't have a decent fire extinguisher or first aid kit in your garage, you might be a *******.

~Don't weld while wearing fuzzy cotton shirts, or polyester/nylon.

~Do buy a leather welding jacket, and leather shoes or work boots. Make sure you get some burn ointment for when you forget to wear the boots, and a weld spatter melts thru your nike's.

~Spend 15 to 30 minutes a day organizing your tools so you can find them. Resist the urge to throw tools when you can't find the right one.

~Buy broken bolt extractor kit, stud extractor, and nut removal tools, sometimes PB Blaster doesn't work.

~Stainless steel fasteners can sieze and gall if installed 'dry', use copper anti-sieze. Stainless also work hardens, so if you break it off, you better have cobalt or carbide drill bits to remove.

~Baking soda neutralizes battery acid, very handy to have a squirt bottle full of water mixed with soda.

~Use a nut driver or socket to tighten hose clamps, blade screwdrivers are prone to slip off and stab your free hand, don't ask how I know this...

~NEVER, EVER weld near your plastic gas tank, or windows. ALWAYS cover your glass with a fireproof blanket, weld spatter will stick to glass and melt into it. It's easier to remove your gas tank before it catches fire, trust me....

·
GMFS founding member
4,014 Posts
things i can't do without...

a good creeper w/ adjustable headrest and a heavy duty rolller seat.
ditto on the magnetic trays.
craftsman vintage fender cover! very handy when working in the engine bay.
flourescent light, keeps from melting shit like a regular shop light.
torque wrench. if they say 37ft/lbs, it must be important.
craftsman 6" diagonal pliers and a good wire stripper.
mini butane torch.
long and heavy welding gloves are a must, along with a decent mask. also good for cutting, as are cutting glasses and a striker.
magenetic pick up tool and drill chill oil are very handy for drilling and tapping high-risk parts, like installing a gauge proble on your exhaust manifold before the turbo.
a good (read: powerful) cordless drill is a must. my craftman 19.2V will break screws in low range.
a good folding utility knife with extra blades.
big hammers and pry bars.
portable socket racks.

things i've learned, mostly the hard way, some of it's common sense...
always use jack stands.
avoid craftsman bottle jacks.
if in doubt, use a torque wrench.
oil your air tools daily.
drain your compressor daily.
use the right goddamn tool for the job! nothing pisses me off more than when i'm wrenching with a friend and he starts banging on a stuck bolt with my ratchet. if you don't have the right tool, sears is your friend.
take your time. take breaks, eat and drink something. you'll do better work if you're not rushed and not hungry or thirsty.
if you don't know, ask! chances are someone on here knows the answer.
always set your parking brake when working under your truck.
keep a fire extinguisher and cell phone nearby when welding and cutting.
ether (starting fluid) will take grease off of anything. but don't try it while smoking.

HTH!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts