GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say if you was to run 35's on a pavement pounder only, absolutely no mud or anything.

Stick with 16" rims, 17", or 18's?

I'm either going to Get a jeep or 7+3 my 2wd. I want something that will stand out if I lift mine. I think 35's will be the most I can go since I cannot trim on the new style GMC bumpers.

Tires?

Pics of single cabs lifted on 35's or so would be nice too...

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well I duno about rims, thats personal, but I would recomend BFG ATs for tires, look great and sound like they will do you well.

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
If I were you I would not do a 7+3 on a 2wd, it is not as big as it seems it would be with the combo of the suspension and body. You have had a 6+3 on a 4wd and would not be happy with the small size of the 2wd. What looks awesome is a full 10" suspension lift on a 2wd with 36's. You can even fit the 37" Nittos on 18's with that setup as they are only 36.2" That tire is awesome. And then you have the option of adding body to it to go bigger in the future. Here is something you might like...
Evan
1999 GMC 2WD WITH 9.5'' LIFT AND 36X14.5X16.5 PJ DIRT GRIPS

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Well, Fabtech claims that 35's will fit with only their 7" kit, if 8" wheels are used. So with a 3" on top of that like you mentioned, here's what I'd do... go with 37x12.50-17's, either BFG All-Terrains or BFG Mud-Terrains, and mount them on some 17x8 wheels. They would both be very street friendly, and look great on your rig.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:drool: :worship:

So you think that the 7" CST and 3" body wouldnt sit as high as that 9.5 FT? It would be pretty close I would think.

I still think that im going to have to CLEAR the tires good since the new GMC bumpers are painted to match on the bottom and its not going to look good cut at all. Even he trimmed the lower valance in which I wont be able to do. Very clean and simple nice truck. It may take me a little while but something is getting lifted LOL...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My advice would be not to spend money lifting a 2wd truck and buy the jeep. thats just my opinion though, but if looks are more your thing rather than offroad performance then a 6+3 w/ 35" all terrains would look pretty good. there are cheaper tires that wouldn't look that bad either though.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea grant, Fabtech claims with their subframe kit for the 2wd it will clear 35's. I was thinking 37's but some people think the 2wd Half Tons suspension will not hold up to 37's :read: And no trimming is the biggest problem and not being able to crank those damn torsion bars lol

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had the lifted 4x4 with 9" 37's for the last truck. And after all the mudding and giving it hell it just wasnt holding up and I really ruined a nice truck IMO. So im not looking to do that again.

I agree the Jeep would be perfect for the summer. find an older jeep with 35's and it would do what I want. But then again something about having a real nice new truck lifted makes me want it more..

I really cant decide what I want to do, but I dont like being low to the ground it sucks. I thought this 2wd would work for what I want but im not happy. And if im spending 500 bones a month for a payment I want to like what I drive for sure...LOL My mistake getting this truck, but we live and learn

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Since the truck is gonna be a pavement pounder go for 18" rims and Nittos. I put my Nitto's through hell and they do pretty good. Great on the highway too.
18"s on your truck would look pretty clean.

·
2,451 Posts
why cant you trim?? somebody on another site said he couldnt trim his 03 gmc's bumper and another guy replied and said it trimmed with a utility knife. :read:

but i say get the jeep. Im getting a 95 yj for my first vehicle, but will soon replaced with a 4x4 fsc if i save well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Aberbaseball7 IMO the best setup for a 2wd truck is the 7" CST or maybe the newer Camburg uni-ball setup w/ glass front fenders on 35s. Subframes on 2wd trucks just doesn't look right to me, and trying to make it look like a 4wd(see red GMC posted earlier) is even worse. Sure you won't be as tall as other trucks running around town but it will be alot more practical.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
get a jeep. they kickass offroad then you will have your nice practical GMC for street driving :head:

37s will tear your 2wd half ton front to pieces.

35s are even big for it, but it CAN hold it if your easy on it

·
Picture Me Rollin'
287 Posts
I still say do the 10" suspension lift. When I first lifted my 2wd I thought a 6" would be huge, then I added the 3" body, then I wasn't happy as the 4wds with 6+3 were bigger. I would be happy with a 2wd with 10" all suspension being around the same as a 4wd with 6+3. I also think all suspension looks better unless its like 12+3 or bigger. The 37s will be fine on your daily driver. My truck has a lot of daily driver miles on the 40s and the only time anything up front has been broken was taking it 35mph thru whoops, not a good idea. Camburg and CST's kits are awesome, but for just a big daily driver I would go with Full Throttle.
Evan

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The main thing about my old truck was the Windows. So much mud got in the windows and I had to roll them down and it scratched them up pretty bad. Not couting how the carpet looked because of all the mud that had been in it. Paint looked like shit up close and it just didnt clean up too well. But I am pretty picky about things so im sure that isnt major to some of yall but it bugged the shit outa me.

Ewogo I agree that all suspension looks better, and would love to run the FT and 37's. The red truck looks perfect IMO. And also I was one of the biggest trucks in town with my 6+3 here and loved it and will prolly be un happy to be smaller then most.

I still dont think I would trim the lower part of the bumper

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Aberbaseball7/GMC/IMGP0367.jpg

1 - 20 of 88 Posts