GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, yesterday I went and checked on tires. Im planning on lifting my truck 6 inches and running a 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ and 17x8 Chrome Gunner 6's. They guy gave me crap about running a wider tire but I told him they would fit. Are there any downsides to only running a x8 wheel? He quoted me $1504 for a set of 4 wheels and tires.

Secong question is what do you guys think about the claws vs. MTZ's? They make the MTZ'z in 315/70/17 and the Claws come in 35x12.5x17.

Thanks ya'll

·
Z71 Avalanche
830 Posts
go with claws

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you like claws over the MTZ's? why? Im just trying to gather info. thanks man. Only thing i dont like about claws is that they very much directional tread meaning reverse in the mud doesnt exist.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
8" wheel should be fine.
ok thanks, thats what i thought but he said it would pinch the bead and shorten the life of the tires. i told him it would be fine and to please figure out the price for me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
wheels will be fine, and MTZ's over claws all day long

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheels will be fine, and MTZ's over claws all day long
great cuz i really wanna run the Gunners, yeah ive been thinking MTZ's but then i saw some claws and thought id check them out. But there arent many opinions out there on them. Tried a search. By the way, your truck looks awesome man.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
lol im running an 12.5 wide on an x7 no prob

·
Z71 Avalanche
830 Posts
i say claws cause i liek the way they look, but yes they are very directional, i guess its a preference thing, but you should be fine with the x8

·
Registered
162 Posts
Flame on, but here's my take: He is right from a "by the book" standpoint. Unfortunately a lot of larger corporate places have to be that way nowadays. If you look at spec, I bet they recommend between 8.5" and 10" (or somewhere close to that) on the wheel width. That being said, a 12.50 on an 8" rim is technically "out of the tire manufacturers recommended wheel width". However it usually causes a balloon effect (to a mild degree) on the tire and consequently wears the center of the tire down faster than the outside of the tire (as opposed to what he is referring to as a bead issue). People should see what a 12.50 does over time on a standard dually wheel. Bare in the middle, almost full tread on the outside.

But in the real world, people run 12.50's on 8's all day long. It's a good lok and protects the wheel to a certain degree because of the sidewall bulge. I.E. less chance of curb rashing your wheel.

As far as tire choice, the claws look great and pull great but are going to be louder, rougher, and last less than the MTZ's.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I have a set of 12.50's on 16x8 wheels and don't have any problem with them wearing in the middle faster. I have a problem with the tires wearing excessively fast in general, but that's something to do with the rear end, not the wheels. The wheels will work and I vote MTZ's. I love them both but the MTZ's are a little higher on the list in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i say claws cause i liek the way they look, but yes they are very directional, i guess its a preference thing, but you should be fine with the x8
great thanks for the response.

Flame on, but here's my take: He is right from a "by the book" standpoint. Unfortunately a lot of larger corporate places have to be that way nowadays. If you look at spec, I bet they recommend between 8.5" and 10" (or somewhere close to that) on the wheel width. That being said, a 12.50 on an 8" rim is technically "out of the tire manufacturers recommended wheel width". However it usually causes a balloon effect (to a mild degree) on the tire and consequently wears the center of the tire down faster than the outside of the tire (as opposed to what he is referring to as a bead issue). People should see what a 12.50 does over time on a standard dually wheel. Bare in the middle, almost full tread on the outside.

But in the real world, people run 12.50's on 8's all day long. It's a good lok and protects the wheel to a certain degree because of the sidewall bulge. I.E. less chance of curb rashing your wheel.

As far as tire choice, the claws look great and pull great but are going to be louder, rougher, and last less than the MTZ's.
Thank you very much for that info! I completely understand what your saying and i never even thought about curb rash. Like you said "by the book" he recomended that i go with between an 8.5 and a 10. He quoted me "manufactureer's recomended wheel width"

I also really appreciate the comparo between claws and MTZ. Ive looked and couldnt find any info comparing these two. I think ill go with the exact setup I posted and go with the MTZ. The information was much appreciated. Thanks
I have a set of 12.50's on 16x8 wheels and don't have any problem with them wearing in the middle faster. I have a problem with the tires wearing excessively fast in general, but that's something to do with the rear end, not the wheels. The wheels will work and I vote MTZ's. I love them both but the MTZ's are a little higher on the list in my opinion.
Yeah im looking at 17x8's and i agree with you now, MTZ rank higher on my list as well. I wish they had a true 35 but a 315 is close enough. Ive already made a list of trucks to look for next year in CS and yours is one of em, hope to see you next year man!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
MTZ's all day long! Much better tires from what i have seen than the claws. That combo is going to look great on your truck. What brand lift you going with?

·
Registered
778 Posts
i dont remember if you said already or not, but why dont you go with 17x10's? they'd look so good IMO

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dont remember if you said already or not, but why dont you go with 17x10's? they'd look so good IMO
yeah that would look awesome but they done make the Gunners in a 17x10. And i cant afford to step up to 18's with the added price of the wheels and then more expensive tires.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MTZ's all day long! Much better tires from what i have seen than the claws. That combo is going to look great on your truck. What brand lift you going with?
Great, after this thread im dead set on MTZ's! Thanks for the compliment man, ive loved gunners forever, they are popular but they look awesome i think. Im going with a 6 inch lift, either the pro comp full drop kit or possibly the superlift 6-7.5 kit. The superlift might sit too high over the 315's though. Im probably gonna go with the PC. It will be the end of the summer and ill have some last minute questions and then a million pictures!

·
Registered
778 Posts
thats weird, they must have discontinued the 17x10 gunners, i have seen them multiple times and several members have had them?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Great, after this thread im dead set on MTZ's! Thanks for the compliment man, ive loved gunners forever, they are popular but they look awesome i think. Im going with a 6 inch lift, either the pro comp full drop kit or possibly the superlift 6-7.5 kit. The superlift might sit too high over the 315's though. Im probably gonna go with the PC. It will be the end of the summer and ill have some last minute questions and then a million pictures!
Cool...can't wait to see it. I've heard good things about the PC full drop kit. Kind of hit and miss on the superlift kit though.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats weird, they must have discontinued the 17x10 gunners, i have seen them multiple times and several members have had them?
yeah ive looked for them but havent found a set. I might be wrong, that would be great actually, but the dealer had them in x8's so i dont know. I could pick up a set on ebay but for 1500 new ill probably just stick with the 8's. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool...can't wait to see it. I've heard good things about the PC full drop kit. Kind of hit and miss on the superlift kit though.
yeah ive heard the superlift subframe is kind of so so. And i cant wait to see it either! :rocking: Ive been dreaming of a lifted truck for a while now. Ill have to work hard this summer and see what happens.

·
4,725 Posts
you like claws over the MTZ's? why? Im just trying to gather info. thanks man. Only thing i dont like about claws is that they very much directional tread meaning reverse in the mud doesnt exist.
Forward in mud doesn't exist with claws either, so the reverse issue isn't as much of an issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts