GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Alaskan Sierra
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a way to disable the tire pressure system on the new body style 2007GMCs? its gonna cost me around $88 bucks a pop when i have my winter tires and summer tires switched out due to the fact that i have to have the wheel senors put in the other tires each time. as far as i know two sets of senors cant be programmed to the same truck at the same time so i have to switch the senors each time. any suggestions would be awesome. thanks guys.

·
layin big rubber
1,457 Posts
i'll ask my homies that work at the local tires shops and see what they know about them

·
Alaskan Sierra
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
come to find out the senors might not even fit in my aftermarket rims.this sucks man, gm sure made sure if you wanted aftermarket rims and didnt want a hassel to deal with you would have to buy their 20s. so my question now is if i cant disable the system and the senors dont fit in my aftermarket 20s, what would happen if i just switched the rims and tires without moving the senors? would it hurt anything, reduced engine power etc...? or would i just have to deal with the tire pressure warning light everytime i start it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do believe that you could take the vehicle to the dealer ship and have a tech find a calibration number on the sensors using the tech 2. Then order those sensors for your vehicle, but im not 100% sure of that i my self would
need to look further into the situation.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bump, I just put 2005 Nissan Titan wheels on my truck and I have the same problem, is there a fuse I can pull to the system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
why cant you just run without the sensors?...wouldnt the only problem be that a light will be indicated on your dash?...I dont think itll hurt to drive around with a air pressure light on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It doesn't hurt anything I'm sure. Just aggrivating.

Ok so heres another question, if I were to put the stock rims back on, will the system reset, do I have to reset it from the dash? Or does the dealer have to do something.. just curious

·
Registered
25 Posts
you'll have to go to the dealer or to a tire shop to have it reset. From all the tires that Ive done, we always needed a hand held sensor tool to reset the computer. But some sensors didnt need to be reset...they did it on their own.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Because I know from thumbing through the trip, oil life, tire press etc. If you push and hold while it shows tire pressure monitoring it goes into "relearn" so I was just curious if that would do it, or whether it's more advanced than that... only one way to find out I guess, haha.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am at work, and the owners manual is at home. We're about to do them today at work, is there anyway you can tell me how to do it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Once you get the system in learn mode, start at the LF tire and bleed the air out till the horn beeps, then do the same to the RF, RR and LR. Then set your tire pressure to spec. This lets the system learn the sensor locations and ID's. Has to be done if you rotate your tires too. Just run your winter tires with out the sensors. The light will come on and stay on till you put your factory tires back. Or, you can put sensors in your winter tires and let the computer learn them when you put them on. Either way, no harm will come to your truck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once you get the system in learn mode, start at the LF tire and bleed the air out till the horn beeps, then do the same to the RF, RR and LR. Then set your tire pressure to spec. This lets the system learn the sensor locations and ID's. Has to be done if you rotate your tires too. Just run your winter tires with out the sensors. The light will come on and stay on till you put your factory tires back. Or, you can put sensors in your winter tires and let the computer learn them when you put them on. Either way, no harm will come to your truck.
I just put 20in stockers on my truck, and took off the 17's. The sensore were still in the wheels, and the system didn't have any problems until a day later, now the system flashes "service tire pressure system". I assume I need to do the above?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts