GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do low-profile tires need different amounts of air pressure than regular stock tires??
what psi should they have?
i have 305/40/22 size tires if that matters.

·
Registered
156 Posts
do low-profile tires need different amounts of air pressure than regular stock tires??

Take 5 psi off of the sidewall rating and adjust up or down from there for best wear versus ride. Too little air will wear the centers out, just like too much will.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
the psi doesnt change from a low pro to a huge crawler. Its still pounds per square inch and 35 to 45 is what mose guys run. I run about 55 in mine to help with mileage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Too little air tends to wear more on the shoulders than the center. This is especially true with a lower-profile tire that has stiffer sidewalls than stock tire.
Have the stealer put 35psi in YOUR 10 ply tires and it will definitely look like you're doing 4wheel burnouts after 10k miles (worn right out of the middle).

The tire sidewall has a maximum pressure on it and lowering more than 10 psi below that (especially on low profile tires) and running less will definitely overheat the tire. Just ask any firestone equipped ford explorer driver.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Have the stealer put 35psi in YOUR 10 ply tires and it will definitely look like you're doing 4wheel burnouts after 10k miles (worn right out of the middle).

The tire sidewall has a maximum pressure on it and lowering more than 10 psi below that (especially on low profile tires) and running less will definitely overheat the tire. Just ask any firestone equipped ford explorer driver.
they are radial tires. They're designed to wear on a lower psi. and chevy says right on the side of the truck that for 265/75/16 its recomends 35 psi.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just relaying what I learned in a year at Discount Tire. Are you suggesting that a 10 ply should be run at no less than 70 psi? How much do you spend on tires a year?

I can say that any less the 65 psi in my LT245/75r16's Load Range E tires results in premature center wear on all the brands I run. As to how much do I spend a year in tires , approx $30k, but that includes Industrial tires,too. On average, I spend $500 a truck on tires times 19 trucks every year and a half (approx 40k miles). I have 7 3500 SRW's alone. 7 Ryder type vans. 1 Escalade. 2 Lexus SUV's. 4 1500's.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, I look like a fool:crazy: but in all honesty my experience has been different:shrug:
Not really. That's what a forum is for. Different ideas and different points of view. I wouldn't even be on here if I wasn't learning from everyone else's experiences.:endofshow

·
Paint it Black
142 Posts
65 psi in a P rated tire or LT rated? if its LT rated, then that makes sense. i would think that 65 in a passenger tire would be way too high, but if tahts whats workin for your trucks and vans in your fleet, then i guess it works. when i did a chalk test on my stockers (p rated 265s) i ended up with a range of 34-40 psi, a little different for each was what worked on mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts