GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting 20's this month (Motiv Matrix 20x9) and I dont want goodyears or Falkens 275/45/20.

I am looking at some Toyos 265/50/20's Proxes ST.

Will that tire fit? How much taller will it be because I like the look of the 275/45 as far as sidewall height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sevenfold said:
Are you lowered at all? Or plan to go lower?
I was originally going to go 2/4 and 22's like the Street Scene truck in Feb's Truckin' but 22's are to damn expensive, so I am going 20's right now and I will either go 2/4 or 4/6. Probably 4/6 though. But right now I am stock height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sevenfold said:
Almost all chrome wheels like that will not have enough backspacing to clear a chubby tire like 275/45/20. People who run those with a 4/6 usually have to get some low pro tires (like 245/40/20).
The offset is ET+18 (whatever that means) and I want to run 265/50/20's
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
5.70 backspace on +18 offset on a 9" wide wheel. You'd have to run either 255/35/20 or 245/40/20 with rolling the fenderlips to make that wheel/tire combo work on a 4/6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Y2KSierra said:
5.70 backspace on +18 offset on a 9" wide wheel. You'd have to run either 255/35/20 or 245/40/20 with rolling the fenderlips to make that wheel/tire combo work on a 4/6
Will the 265/50/20's stick out of the wheel well?

I wonder what offset and backspacing VicRed's wheels are. He's running the same size tires I want.
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
buginajar said:
Will the 265/50/20's stick out of the wheel well?

I wonder what offset and backspacing VicRed's wheels are. He's running the same size tires I want.
It will probably stick out slightly. Vicred has 20x8 with 5.5" backspacing. 20x8.5 with 6" of backspacing would also work. on a 9" wheel you'd need around 6.5" of backspacing for them to "tuck" and you'd still be very iffy with the 265/50 on a 4/6. Austin recently went to 255/45/20 toyos and likes them alot better. If you are going to go 4/6 in the future save yourself some money and only buy tires once, otherwise you'll quickly realize you'll have to go to a lowpro with those wheels and either a. go back to stockers, or b. go back to stockers until you can get new tires :)

hope this helps
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Y2KSierra said:
It will probably stick out slightly. Vicred has 20x8 with 5.5" backspacing. 20x8.5 with 6" of backspacing would also work. on a 9" wheel you'd need around 6.5" of backspacing for them to "tuck" and you'd still be very iffy with the 265/50 on a 4/6. Austin recently went to 255/45/20 toyos and likes them alot better. If you are going to go 4/6 in the future save yourself some money and only buy tires once, otherwise you'll quickly realize you'll have to go to a lowpro with those wheels and either a. go back to stockers, or b. go back to stockers until you can get new tires :)

hope this helps
http://www.sporttruck.com/featuredvehicles/132_0402_silverado/

He's running 22x9.5 with +20 and 6.03" and he tucks but it looks like he had to roll the fenderlips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From the article

"....Tom trimmed the pinch welds to allow the tires to clear when the truck was aired out."
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
buginajar said:
From the article

"....Tom trimmed the pinch welds to allow the tires to clear when the truck was aired out."
thats for verticle clearance, not horizontally. I'm guessing he narrowed the rear axle to get them to tuck. From the look of thoose fenders, he didn't roll them, he just hacked them out. I personally wouldn't do that if i were driving the truck anywhere but shows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2k1slvrdo said:
thats for verticle clearance, not horizontally. I'm guessing he narrowed the rear axle to get them to tuck. From the look of thoose fenders, he didn't roll them, he just hacked them out. I personally wouldn't do that if i were driving the truck anywhere but shows.
So no matter which way I hack it, the wheels won't work because of the backspacing?
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
buginajar said:
So no matter which way I hack it, the wheels won't work because of the backspacing?
You can make them work...Alot of people narrow their rear axle as 2k1slvrdo said, and alot of people just cut the whole lip of the fender out. I had to roll my rears very slightly to make my 20x8 with 5" of backspacing work, and its still a pretty tight fit.

By the time you narrow the rear axle and rework everything, you could likely just go with a nice set of billets for around the same price :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,693 Posts
Boyd Coddington and Intro(I think) can make wheels to the back spacing specs. that you need. But they are alot more expensive than just regular chrome wheels. Even with the right backspacing, a 50 series tire will still most likely have rubbing issues when turning.
 

·
I don't own a lowrider
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
chevyman992002 said:
Boyd Coddington and Intro(I think) can make wheels to the back spacing specs. that you need. But they are alot more expensive than just regular chrome wheels. Even with the right backspacing, a 50 series tire will still most likely have rubbing issues when turning.
:word:

Don't forget Billet Specialties, Bonspeed, and a few other billet people ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Y2KSierra said:
:word:

Don't forget Billet Specialties, Bonspeed, and a few other billet people ;)
I think I am going to go 22" with 2/4 drop.

These are the wheels im looking at.

Motto mt-100
 

Attachments

·
I am the Moderatonator!
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
I have installed those Motto wheels on many trucks, but in 20" sizes. They look really good, almost like the Oasis B1's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK,...I know I am probably buggin', but do these rear wheels look like they would tuck....It's on a 4/6 and the guy doesnt have the specs for the tires on his site. I would probably have just a bit more sidewall. The rear are 22's.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top